Hello everybody ! Wish you a great week ahead.
Today’s recipe is a very unique chicken dish, ideal for kids and people who are not fond of very spicy food. The hero ingredient of this is Fresh Kaffir Lime. I have not used the leaves of Kaffir Lime since they are not easily available. But if you prefer you can definitely add for extra flavor. You may not use coriander leaves if you are using fresh kaffir lime leaves.
Kaffir Lime is one of the most aromatic species of citrus family. It has a unique flavor and a beautiful scent. This is why this chicken dish is non spicy to maintain the complete lime flavor. I specially love this chicken preparation for a hot summer lunch, though you can enjoy it whenever Kaffir lime is available near you.
As you know Kaffir Lime is not that sour compared to other lemons, other spices and ingredients balance out the sourness further. But if you still do not like the sour taste at all, you may add a little honey to your recipe.
This dish is best enjoyed as a main course side dish with plain rice.
Lets get started !
Preparation Time : (chicken marination = overnight or at least 4 hours before cooking, other ingredients = 10 minutes)
Clean the chicken pieces well. Using paper tissues soak excess water from chicken pieces. In a mixing bowl add the clean & dry chicken pieces. Also add 1/2 tablespoon black pepper powder, 4 tablespoon yogurt and juice of 1/2 Kaffir lime. Mix well until each chicken pieces are uniformly marinated.
Keep the chicken pieces for marination overnight or at least 4 hours before cooking.
Cooking Time : 45 minutes
- Chicken – 400g, I used chicken thigh pieces with bone, you can use boneless chicken pieces or drumstick whichever you prefer
- Fresh Kaffir Lime – 1, cut into 1/2 horizontally & extract juice of 1/2 of it, cut 1 or 2 thin rings for garnishing, cut the remaining vertically into 4 pieces
- Onion – 1 medium sized, roughly chop and prepare a smooth paste
- Garlic – 4 cloves, crush 2 cloves and cut remaining 2 into julienne
- Ginger – 2 inch, crush 1/2 of it and cut remaining into julienne
- Green Chilli – 4 to 6, slitted
- Fresh Kaffir Lime Leaves – 6 to 8 (if available)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1 tablespoon (optional if using Kaffir leaves), roughly chopped
- Yogurt – 4 tablespoon
- Black pepper powder – 1 tablespoon, 1/2 tablespoon during marination & remaining in the last step
- Salt – as per taste
- Plain Butter – 1 tablespoon, melted (optional)
- Refined oil – 4 tablespoon (I used refined soybean oil)
- Whole spices – 4 green cardamom, 2 small cinnamon sticks, 4 black peppercorn, 2 cloves
- Heat up oil in a wok. When the oil is completely hot, add whole spices.
- When the spices begin to splutter, add onion paste & crushed ginger garlic. Keep stirring until the raw smell of onions go.
- Add chicken pieces (do not add the marination now). Mix and keep stirring until the chicken are slightly fried and golden.
- Now add the whole marination, garlic & ginger julienne and salt. Mix well until the chicken starts releasing juice.
- Lower the flame to medium. Cover the wok with a lid. Let the chicken cook in its own gravy. Stir occasionally.
- When the gravy starts sticking to the bottom of the wok, add 2 cups of warm water. Give it a stir. (Add Kaffir lime leaves now if you are using.) Add green chillies. Cover the wok with a lid and let it cook. Stir occasionally. You may add little more water if required later.
- When the chicken is almost done, add 4 chunks of Kaffir Lime into the gravy. Check the gravy, it should be a little runny. If it is too watery, remove the lid and increase the flame.
- Add freshly chopped coriander leaves when chicken is completely done. Also add melted butter (if you are using). Give it a stir. Turn the flame off.
- Give the dish some standing time. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and a ring of Kaffir lime.
Serve Chicken curry with Fresh Kaffir Lime hot with plain rice.