Hello everybody ! Hope you are having a great week.
I learnt this recipe from the very famous Indian chef Kunal Kapoor’s channel. One day I was scrolling through the cooking channels to find an innovative and different mutton recipe to try. I came across this Rajasthani recipe which needs only 5 ingredients – mutton, authentic Rajasthani dry red chilli, garlic, desi ghee and garlic. I have never tried the original dish, so if you are from Rajasthan please let me know if the authentic procedure is same as the one I am sharing or not.
This recipe is super easy to prepare compared to any other mutton recipe I have come across, needs such basic ingredients you will find at your kitchen any day. This dish is ideal for a quick and simple but delicious lunch. Serve Junglee Maas hot with rice.
Lets get started !
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Clean the mutton pieces well. Keep the clean mutton pieces and place them on a paper towel. Once dry add the pieces into a mixing bowl.
Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and 1 tablespoon melted ghee into the mixing bowl. Coat the mutton pieces well and let it marinate for some time before you start cooking.
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
- Mutton – 300g, medium sized pieces (with bone)
- Dry red chilli – 6, whole
- Clarified butter (ghee) – 4 to 6 tablespoon, melted
- Salt – as per taste
- Garlic – 6 to 8 cloves, roughly chopped
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon (optional if your dry red chilli is enough hot)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Take a wok. Turn the flame on and let it heat up. Add melted clarified butter (ghee) and wait until it heats up.
- Crush dry red chillies lightly on your palm and add into the wok. Wait until they begin to crackle.
- Add roughly chopped garlic. Stir fry until the garlic becomes golden brown.
- Now add marinated mutton pieces. Turn the flame to medium. Keep stirring until the mutton pieces are well fried on all sides.
- Once the mutton is fried, add 2 cups of warm water. Give it a stir. Cover the wok with a lid and let everything cook. Keep checking the mutton and give it a stir in between. Add more warm water later if required.
- When the mutton is completely cooked, check the gravy. It should have a runny soup like consistency. Turn the flame off once done.
Serve Rajasthani Mutton curry – Junglee Maas hot with rice.