Hello everybody ! Hope all of you are having an exciting week.
As promised in the last post, this is the second veg recipe of this week using bottle gourd leaves.”Posto” is one preparation which Bengalis are famous for apart from fish. We have a special connection with poppy seeds. The beautiful white poppy seed paste just speaks to our hearts 😀 😀 As you already know by now I am a huge poppy seed paste (Posto) lover like any Bengali. We can make Posto out of anything I believe and all the dishes I can guarantee will be very tasty. In this post I will be sharing with you how to prepare bottle gourd leaves with poppy seed paste.
I have used few of the tender stem attached to the leaves as well. You can either increase the quantity of stem if you prefer or use only the leaves.
Both the recipes I shared with you today are absolutely easy peasy lemon squeezy. Let me know which one of the 2 bottle gourd leaf recipe you enjoyed the most in the comment section below.
Lets get started !
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Clean the bottle gourd leaves well. Take a large bowl. Heat up 2 cups of water. Add the hot water into the bowl. Now dip the leaves in hot water and let them blanch for about 5 minutes. In the meantime, take another similar bowl. Add normal water and 3 to 4 ice cubes. When the leaves are blanched, add them into the ice bath for 2 minutes. Strain them out in a paper towel wrapped plate.
In a small bowl, take few teaspoon of normal water and let the poppy seeds soak for some time before you make a paste.
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Bottle Gourd Leaves (Lau Shak) – 15 to 20, roughly chopped
- Poppy seed (Posto dana) – 4 teaspoon
- Green chilli – 6, roughly chopped
- Mustard oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- In a mixer grinder add poppy seed, 4 green chillies and 2 tablespoon water. Prepare a smooth paste.
- Heat up oil in a wok.
- When the oil heats up, add few pinches of salt. Lower the flame to medium.
- Add roughly chopped bottle gourd leaves. Keep stirring until the leaves start releasing water.
- Cover the wok with a lid and let the leaves cook in their own juice.
- When the leaves are almost done, add poppy seed paste and remaining green chillies. Mix everything well. Check the salt, add if needed.
- Open the lid and keep stirring until the water dries up. Do not overdry, turn off the flame when very little water still remains.
- Garnish with slitted green chillies on top.
Serve Bottle Gourd Leaves with Poppy seed paste as a side dish with plain rice and any other curry of your choice.