Hello everybody ! Hope you are having a great week.
Today’s recipe screams summer in every way. Summer and mangoes have a special relation in my opinion. Although I am a huge fan of sweet juicy ripe mangoes, I love green mangoes even more. We all must be having lots of fun childhood memories associated with green mangoes.
Snakehead Murrel is a very popular fish in India, especially Bengal. It contains very less bones and is one of the most tastiest fish available here. This fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and protein.
I learnt this unique recipe of Snakehead murrel in green mango gravy from my mom. It is a very traditional Bengali recipe to which I have added few twists of my own. The gravy is a combination of sour, hot and sweet flavors, very less spicy and great for summer. In case you do not get Murrel near you, use any fish fillet like salmon.
Lets get started !
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Clean the Snakehead Murrel fish pieces under running water. Place the clean pieces in a paper towel wrapped plate. When the fish is completely dry, remove the paper towel.
Now add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and few pinches of salt. Also add few drops of oil. Marinate the fish pieces before you start cooking.
Soak yellow mustard seeds in 1/2 cup water for about 15 minutes. Now prepare a smooth paste using mixer grinder.
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Snakehead Murrel (Shol mach) – 4 pieces, marinated
- Green / raw mango – 1 small or 1/2 a medium, cut into long slightly thick slices
- Yellow mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon, prepare a smooth paste
- Black mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon or a pinch
- Roasted cumin and dry red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilli – 2, slitted
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard oil – 4 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a wok. When the oil is completely hot, add marinated fish pieces one by one. Fry both sides of each fish pieces until they become golden on all sides. Once done, remove from the oil and keep aside.
- Remove excess oil from the wok until only 1 tablespoon oil remain.
- Add black mustard seeds. When they start to splutter, add green mangoes.
- Add salt, remaining turmeric powder and green chillies. Mix and stir for a minute.
- Now add 2 cups of warm water. Add fish pieces into the gravy so that they are completely immersed.
- Turn the flame to medium. Cover the wok with a lid. Let the fish cook. Flip sides in between so that all sides of each fish are cooked evenly.
- When the fish is half done, add mustard paste, sugar and green chillies. Gently mix with the gravy. Cover again and let it cook.
- Once the fish and mangoes are completely done, turn the flame off. Very carefully and gently smash few of the mangoes and mix into the gravy. The gravy should be slightly runny in this recipe but not too much.
- Add roasted cumin & dry red chilli powder. Give it a stir.
- Drizzle few drops of mustard oil on top before you serve.
Note : If you prepare thick gravy, you can prepare a smooth paste of the green mangoes.
Serve Snakhead Murrel in green mango gravy hot with plain rice.