Hello everybody ! Hope you are having a great day.
I really have mixed feelings entering my kitchen during summer. It is an extremely hot furnace, but its also my favorite place to be in my entire house. What an irony !
If you have an air-con at your kitchen, you are the luckiest person on earth for me at this time of the year 😀
Usually I like to prepare simple, comparatively light and quick meals during summer. Some of the traditional home food recipes are really good at this time of the year. I will be sharing with you 2 such veg recipes today which are super quick to prepare, health to beat the heat yet quite tasty.
You know that leafy vegetables and green edible herbs are really nutritious. One such healthy edible herb I love specially during summer is Jute leaves. There are few variety of ways of preparing this herb. I will be sharing with you the most popular and loved recipe of Jute leaves here in this post. Stay tuned for my favorite one coming up next week. Do not get intimidated if you are reading about a Jute leaf recipe for the first time, only the tender younger version of Jute plants are used in the preparation.
Lets get started !
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Pluck out the young tender leaves from jute plants. Clean them well. Try to drain out as much water as possible from the leaves.
Finely chop the jute leaves before you start cooking.
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Tender jute plant – 150g, pluck out the leaves only, clean them & finely chop
- Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
- Garlic – 2 to 4 cloves, finely chopped
- Green chillies – 4, finely chopped
- Oil – 1 tablespoon, I used mustard oil
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Take a deep bottom frying pan. Add oil and let it heat up.
- Add finely chopped garlic first into the oil. Fry until they start turning golden.
- Add onions and green chillies. Stir fry until the onions become golden.
- Now add finely chopped jute leaves. Mix with the onions.
- Add salt and turmeric powder. Mix everything.
- Cover the pan with a lid. Turn the flame to medium. The leaves will start releasing water. Let them cook in its own juice. Do not add any more water.
- When the leaves are cooked, remove the lid and increase the flame. Continuously stir until the water dries out completely. (Do not over fry otherwise the leaves will lose the natural green color)
- Once done, turn the flame off. Garnish with green chillies on top.
Serve Stir fried Jute leaves hot with plain steamed rice & any other curry of your choice.