Hello everybody ! Hope you are having a good week.
As I promised you in the last post, this is the second simple & easy recipe I like to prepare during summer. Snake Gourd is not a favorite vegetable for many I know, but it is a highly nutritious vegetable specially during this hot weather.
Snake gourd contains a rich variety of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that are essential for human health, including significant levels of dietary fiber and high levels of protein. In terms of vitamins, it possesses vitamin A, B, C, as well as manganese, magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium, and iodine.
Though snake gourd does not have a very attractive appearance 😀 , but you can prepare really tasty preparations with this veggie. I am sharing with you one of my favorite ways to prepare snake gourd.
Lets get started !
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Add poppy seeds, yellow mustard seeds and 2 roughly chopped green chillies. Prepare a smooth paste with a mixer grinder.
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Snake Gourd – 1, cut into thin slightly long pieces
- Onion – 1, medium sized, cut into thin long slices (I forgot to show it in the ingredient pic)
- Yellow mustard seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Poppy seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Caraway seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chillies – 4, 2 roughly chopped & 2 slitted
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Mustard oil – 2 tablespoon
- Take a deep bottom frying pan. Add oil and let it heat up.
- Once hot,add caraway seeds. When they start to splutter add onions. Stir fry until the onions become golden brown.
- Now add green chillies and snake gourd slices. Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix everything well.
- The snake gourd will start releasing water. Cover the pan with a lid, turn the flame to medium and let the veggies cook in its own juice.
- When the snake gourd is half cooked, add mustard-poppy seed paste. Mix well and cover with the lid again.
- Check gravy when the snake gourd is completely cooked. If it is too runny, remove the lid, increase the flame and let the water dry up until the paste sticks to the veggies. (Do not make it absolutely dry)
- Add slitted green chillies. Mix well. Turn the flame off.
- Drizzle few drops of mustard oil on top before you serve.
Serve Snake gourd in poppy & mustard seeds paste hot with rice or chapatis.