Hello everybody ! Hope you are all doing great.
Today’s recipe is one of my mom’s special dish. I have never tasted this dish anywhere else apart from my home, so there may be other varieties of this preparation which I am not aware of. Please comment below if you know any similar one. I would love to try it out.
This dish has all the flavors beautifully combined with each other – red chilli adds hot, tamarind paste adds sour and a pinch of sugar balances the other 2 flavors. It is one of those unique preparations which our moms have in their secret recipe books. A medium spicy, simple and easy dish but having a delicious taste. Serve this preparation as a main course side dish with plain rice.
I have used my favorite fresh water fish – Rohu for this recipe. You can use any freshwater fish of your choice. Even boneless fish fillets can be used if you prefer.
Lets get started 🙂
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Clean the fish pieces well under running water. Place them in a plate wrapped with tissue water. When the pieces are completely dry, remove the tissues.
Marinate the fish pieces with a pinch of turmeric powder, few drops of mustard oil and few pinches of salt.
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Rohu Fish Pieces – 2, marinated
- Tomato – 1/2 a medium sized one, roughly chopped
- Dry red chilli – 1, whole
- Tamarind paste – 3/4 teaspoon
- Roasted cumin & dry red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard oil – 4 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon (for garnishing)
- Take a deep bottom frying pan. Heat up 4 tablespoon mustard oil. When the oil is completely hot, add marinated fish pieces. Stir fry them until both sides become golden. Take them out from oil once done and keep aside.
- Remove oil from the pan until you are left with 1 to 2 tablespoon oil. Re-heat the oil in the pan if required.
- Now add dry red chilli. Wait a few seconds and add few pinches of salt.
- Now lower the flame to medium. Add chopped tomatoes. Keep stirring the tomatoes until they become soft and mushy.
- Add remaining turmeric powder and tamarind paste. Mix well. Crush the tomatoes as much as you can with the spatula.
- Add 1 cup warm water. Add fish pieces. Gently stir once. Add sugar.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the fish cook. Turn side for each piece in between so that both sides cook evenly.
- When the fish is cooked, remove the lid. Check the consistency of the gravy. It should not be too thick nor too runny. If it is too watery, you can increase the flame and let the water dry up.
- Once everything is done, lower the flame to minimum. Add roasted cumin seeds & dry red chilli powder. Gently give it a stir.
- Turn the flame off. Drizzle 1 teaspoon mustard oil on top.
Serve Hot & sour Fish curry hot with plain steamed rice.