Hello everybody ! Hope you are having a great week.
As promised this is the second non veg recipe of this week. The previous chicken recipe I shared with you was a dish you can prepare for your guests on a special day. But this one is a very everyday simple and easy fish recipe. It requires very few ingredients yet tastes absolutely delicious. The hero ingredient of this dish is a slight sour and tangy mustard sauce which is called “Kasundi” in Bengali. It is best to serve it with plain rice.
In case you cannot find kasundi at your place, you can use simple mustard paste as well, but the taste will be a little different. You can use 1 teaspoon lemon juice to bring the tangy flavor of mustard sauce, if you are using simple paste.
I have used circular pieces of Rohu Fish. You can also use any other small whole fish or fish fillets of your choice.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Rohu fish pieces – 2
- Onion – 1 small or 1/2 a medium sized, prepare a smooth paste
- Garlic – 2 cloves, crush or prepare a paste
- Yogurt – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard sauce (Kasundi) – 2 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilli – 2, slitted
- Mustard oil – 5 tablespoon
- Heat up oil (keep 1 teaspoon aside) in a deep bottom frying pan. When the oil is completely hot, add marinated fish pieces. Stir fry fish until both sides of each piece become golden. Remove from oil and keep aside.
- In the sane oil, add onion paste. Turn the flame to medium. Add a pinch of salt.
- Next add garlic paste. Keep stirring until the raw smell of onion is gone.
- In a small bowl add yogurt and 1 cup water. Whisk well until no lumps remain.
- Add yogurt mixture into the pan. Continuously stir so that it does not form lumps.
- Add fish pieces. Also add required amount of salt. Cover the pan with a lid and let the fish cook.
- After about 2 to 3 minutes add mustard sauce (kasundi) and green chilli. Mix and stir well. Also turn the fish pieces so that both sides cook evenly.
- When the fish is completely done, remove the lid. Increase the flame and let the water dry up so that you get a thick mustard sauce gravy sticking to the fish pieces.
- Turn the flame off once done. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon mustard oil on top.
Serve Rohu Fish in mustard sauce gravy hot with plain rice.