Hello everybody ! Wish you a great week ahead.
Ash Gourd is a very healthy vegetable specially to beat the summer heat. Today’s recipe is a less spicy, simple, easy to prepare dish. The hero ingredient is yellow lentils which adds to the taste as well as nutrition value.
You can serve this dish with plain rice or chapatis. If you are working, this preparation is great as a lunch box side dish.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Ash Gourd (Chal Kumro) – 1/2 a medium sized, cut into long thin slices
- Yellow lentils (Sona Moong Dal) – 4 to 5 tablespoon
- Tomato – 1 small, roughly chopped
- Ginger paste / Crushed ginger – 1 teaspoon
- Dry red chilli – 1 whole
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoon (I used mustard oil)
- Clarified butter (ghee) – 1 tablespoon
- Take a deep bottom pan. Make sure it is absolutely dry.
- Add yellow lentils into the pan. Stir continuously until the lentils start turning reddish brown. As soon as few lentils change color, remove lentils from heat and keep aside in a bowl.
- Heat oil in the same pan. When the oil heats up, add dry red chilli.
- As the chilli turns brown, add ginger paste. Also add tomatoes. Add few pinches of salt. Stir fry until the tomatoes become soft.
- Add ash gourd. Mix well. Keep stirring for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cumin powder.
- Mix well with the ash gourd. Also add salt. Turn the flame to medium and cover the pan with a lid. The ash gourd will start releasing water. Let it cook in its own juice.
- When the ash gourd are half cooked, add the lentils. Mix well. Cover with the lid again. You can add little warm water if required.
- If the ash gourd and lentils are completely cooked, increase the flame and remove the lid. Let the water dry up but not completely. A little should remain sticking to the vegetables.
- Once done turn the flame off. Add clarified butter (ghee). Give it a stir.
Serve Ash Gourd with yellow lentils hot with plain rice / chapatis.