Hello everybody !! Hope you are having a great week.
Last week I shared with you one of my favorite prawn recipe. It was prawn in a sweet creamy coconut milk gravy. Please check it out if not already.
Many of you liked the previous recipe, I am so happy. But I know there are many of you who do not prefer sweet gravy in non vegetarian dishes just like my husband. Some of you are hard core spice lovers. So I decided to share with you another prawn recipe with shredded coconut, but this time it is hot & spicy. You can try both and comment below which recipe you enjoyed most.
I have used onion, garlic, chillies and all great things we spice lovers prefer in our food. The shredded coconut adds a beautiful texture & flavor to the gravy.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Clean and devein the prawns. Place them in a paper towel wrapped plate to soak up water. Remove paper towel once the prawns are dry. Marinate them with a pinch of turmeric powder, few pinches of salt and few drops of oil.
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Prawns – 10, (I used tiger prawns)
- Onion – 1 medium sized, roughly chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch, roughly chopped
- Garlic – 2 cloves, roughly chopped
- Green chilli – 4, slitted
- Tomato – 1 large sized, roughly chopped
- Scraped / Shredded Coconut – 4 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Refined oil / Mustard oil – 4 to 6 tablespoon
- Plain butter – 2 tablespoon, melted (optional)
- Take a deep bottom frying pan. Add oil and let it heat up completely.
- Add marinated prawns one by one into the hot oil. Stir fry them until they turn golden on all sides. Remove from oil once done and keep in a paper towel wrapped plate.
- In the same oil add onion. Stir fry until they become translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger. Keep stirring until the onions become golden brown. Strain as much oil as possible and take out fried onion, garlic and ginger. Let it cool down for some time.
- Put fried onion, garlic and ginger into a mixer grinder to prepare a smooth paste.
- Heat up the remaining oil again. Once hot turn the flame to medium. Add sugar. Wait for few seconds. Add onion mixture paste. Add salt.
- Put the tomatoes in the same mixer grinder and prepare a smooth paste.
- Add tomato paste into the onion mixture gravy and keep stirring until the raw smell of tomatoes disappear.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and garam masala powder. Keep stirring until the oil gets separated from the spices.
- Now add shredded or scraped coconut. Mix with the gravy.
- Also add the fried prawns. Mix everything well and keep stirring until the coconut is slightly fried and golden. Check the salt in between, add if required.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of warm water into the gravy. Wait until the gravy becomes thick and the prawns are completely cooked.
- Add green chillies (keep 1 aside for garnishing). Give it a stir. Also add melted plain butter. Mix into the gravy. After a minute turn the flame off.
- Give the dish some standing time. Garnish with a slitted green chilli.
Serve Prawn with shredded coconut hot with plain rice.