Hello everybody !! Hope you are having a lovely day.
Many of you are quite enjoying my raw jack fruit recipe series it seems. In case you have not read the previous posts, please go ahead and have a look. But some of my friends have complained that I have not incorporated any non veg recipe with this amazing vegetable. I am sure some of you too might have felt the same.
Since I work in an IT office 10 hours per day for 5 days a week, I know how difficult it is to prepare complex or time consuming dishes specially on week days. But we love our weekends and try to make it special for our family by preparing our common favorite menu. So I try to share with you different variety of recipes, some of which are quite easy and quick, others are more complex & elaborate. Please follow me in all my social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) if not already, to get a closer look at our life and never miss any update from us. You will find all the links in the Home page.
Today’s recipe is a wholesome side dish which you can enjoy with plain rice. It contains potato and raw jack fruit, and to take the dish to another level I have added shrimps. This is a very popular preparation among us Bengalis, I am sure all of you will enjoy it just like me. The dish is very easy to prepare, medium spicy and tastes amazing.
In case you do not have raw jack fruit, you can use vegetables like pointed gourd or cauliflower and follow the same recipe.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Potatoes – 2 medium, cut into small cubes
- Raw Jack fruit – 1/2 of a medium sized one, cut into small cubes and semi boiled
- Shrimps – 20 to 25, de-vein, remove the heads & tail and clean well
- Onion – 1 small or 1/2 of a medium sized, cut into thin long slices
- Crushed ginger – 1 tablespoon
- Tomato – 1 medium sized, roughly chopped
- Green / red chillies – 4, roughly chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard oil – 4 tablespoon
- Take a large bowl. Heat 2 to 3 cups of water till it is completely boiling. Add hot water to the bowl. Add few pinches of salt and potatoes. Let it blanch for 10 to 15 minutes. Once done take them out in a paper towel wrapped plate to dry up.
- In the meantime, heat up oil in a wok. When the oil heats up, add shrimps. Sprinkle few pinches of salt and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Stir fry the shrimps till they turn golden on all sides. Once done, take them out and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add onions. Stir fry until the onions become translucent.
- Add crushed ginger, green chillies and tomatoes. Keep stir frying until the tomatoes become soft.
- Now add the blanched potatoes and semi boiled jack fruit. Also add remaining turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cumin powder. Also add salt.
- Stir and mix everything well. Turn the flame to medium. Cover the wok with a lid.
- Remove the lid and stir occasionally until the spices start releasing oil.
- Now add the shrimps. Give it a stir. Add 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups of warm water. Stir and mix once again. Cover the wok with a lid and let the veggies cook.
- When everything is done, check the gravy. The gravy should be slightly runny. If is too runny you can remove the lid, increase the flame and get the water dry up. If it is too thick, you can add little warm water and adjust the consistency. Once done. turn the flame off and give the dish some standing time.
Serve Potato and Raw Jack fruit curry with shrimps hot with plain rice.