Hello everybody !! Hope you are having a great week so far.
Today’s recipe is my favorite main course side dish for a super hot summer day. This dish is highly nutritious since I use so many variety of veggies and freshwater fish. We face bloating, indigestion, stomach upset or headache due to summer heat. In this dish I have used vegetables which are mainly available during summer, high in water & nutrition content, thus help maintain your body temperature & balance. The Rohu fish adds an extra zing to the dish. The dish has very less spices, super easy to prepare and you dont need to spend much time in the kitchen.
It is quite a wholesome dish, complete in itself. I typically serve it hot with steamed rice.
If you are a vegetarian you can skip the fish & still enjoy this delicious dish. In case you do not get Rohu fish nearby, you can use any Freshwater fish of your choice.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Potatoes – 1 medium sized, cut into 4 pieces (first cut once horizontally, then cut once vertically)
- Rohu Fish – 2 pieces / fillet, clean the fillets well and marinate them with a pinch of turmeric powder & few pinches of salt
- Papaya – 1/2 of a small sized, 4 pieces (equal in size with the potatoes)
- Pointed Gourd – 2, scrape the outermost skin and cut each once horizontally
- Baby Eggplant – 2, make slits on the top & bottom part of each eggplant
- Ridge Gourd – 1 medium sized, cut into 3 pieces horizontally
- Lady’s finger – 4
- Drumstick – 4, peel the skin and cut each drumstick into 4 to 5 pieces
- Sun dried dumplings (bori) – 7 to 8
- Tomato – 1 small, roughly chopped
- Green chillies – 4, slitted
- Black cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard oil – 4 to 6 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a wok. When the oil heats up completely, add the marinated fish fillets. Stir fry until both sides of each fillets turn golden. Once done, take out and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add sun dried dumplings (bori). Stir fry until the dumplings become golden brown. Take them out and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil, add black cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start to crackle, add potatoes. Also add few pinches of salt. Stir fry until the potatoes turn golden.
- Add pointed gourd, papaya and eggplants. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Next add tomatoes and green chillies. Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Keep stirring until the tomatoes become soft.
- Now add lady’s finger, ridge gourd and drumstick . Mix everything well. Stir for a minute.
- Add fried sun dried dumplings. Also add as much salt as required. Mix well.
- Take a pressure cooker. Transfer everything from the wok into the cooker. Place the fried fillets over the veggies. Add 2 cup warm water. Shake the cooker lightly so that everything gets mixed.
- Secure the lid of the cooker. Wait for 2 whistles in medium flame. Let the pressure release by itself.
In case you do not want to use a pressure cooker, after step 8, add 2 to 3 cups of water and cover the wok with a lid. Wait until the veggies are almost cooked. Place the fillets into the gravy. Wait until everything is completely done. The gravy should be little runny. You can add more warm water later if required.
Serve Fish curry with mixed vegetables hot with plain rice.