Hello everybody !! It is Wednesday, so I bring you another non veg recipe 🙂
I had a super fun weekend with my family. Mom and dad came to stay in our apartment after almost a year. Please check out some crazy fun pics in our Instagram page. Follow us in all our social media pages (FB, Insta & Twitter) for more updates on MuMi’s Fun Life. You will find all the links in the Home page.
Today’s recipe is a spice lover’s special Fish curry. If you are not a big fan of spicy food, you can still try the dish, just tone down the level of spices according to your preference. It is not an everyday fish preparation for sure, but a delicious main course side dish for a special occasion lunch. It is easy to prepare, yet tastes like a restaurant special. I have used rohu fish pieces for this preparation, you can use any fish fillets you prefer.
You can serve this dish with plain rice , veg biriyani or veg fried rice.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Clean the fish pieces / fillets under running water. Place them in a paper towel wrapped plate. Once dry, marinate the fish with few pinches of salt, a pinch of turmeric powder and few drops of oil.
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Fish pieces / fillets – 6, I used Rohu fish, you can use whichever fish you prefer
- Onion – 1 large, roughly chopped
- Garlic – 8 cloves, roughly chopped
- Ginger – 2 inch, roughly chopped
- Tomato – 1 medium, roughly chopped
- Green chilli – 4, cut into 2 halves lengthwise
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Dry Bay Leaf – 1
- Green cardamom – 2
- Mace strand – a little
- Cinnamon stick – small
- Cloves – 2
- Black peppercorn – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Roasted cumin seeds & dry red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Clarified butter (ghee) – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard oil – 6 tablespoon (You can also use refined soybean oil if you prefer)
- Take a deep bottom frying pan. Let the oil heat up completely.
- Add marinated fish pieces / fillets. Fry them until both sides become golden. Once done remove them from oil and keep them aside.
- In the same oil, add whole spices – cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, mace and black peppercorns.
- When they start to splutter, add onions. Add a pinch of salt. Stir fry until onions become golden.
- Add garlic and ginger. Keep stirring until the onions become golden brown.Turn the flame off once done.
- Take everything out in a bowl and let it cool down. Transfer everything into a mixer grinder and prepare a smooth paste. Take the whole paste out in a small bowl.
- In the same mixer grinder, add tomatoes and prepare a smooth paste.
- Heat up the remaining oil in the pan again. Add bay leaf. Wait for a few seconds.
- Lower the flame to medium. Add onion mixture paste. Stir for a minute.
- Next add tomato paste. Also add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix and keep stirring until the spices start releasing oil.
- Now add 2 cups of warm water. Mix with the gravy so that no lumps remain.
- Place the fried fish fillets into the gravy. Cover the pan with a lid. Let the fish cook. Flip each fillets in between so that both sides get evenly cooked.
- Once everything is done, add chopped coriander leaves, green chillies, roasted cumin seeds & dry red chilli powder and clarified butter. Stir and mix gently.
- The gravy should have neither too thick nor too runny consistency. If the gravy is too runny, increase the flame and let the water dry up until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Once done, turn the flame off. Give the dish some standing time.
Serve Hot & spicy Fish curry with plain rice , veg biriyani or veg fried rice.