Hello everybody !! Hope you are having a great week.
Today I will be sharing with you another raw jack fruit recipe.I hope you enjoyed the previous recipe I shared last week. If you haven’t tried that already, please check it out.
This is comparatively less spicy and has a thick yogurt based gravy. You can serve it as a side dish with plain rice / bread.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cut a whole jack fruit into half lengthwise. Immediately put both halves under running water. Grease your hands with a little mustard oil before you start chopping jack fruit.
Take each half and slice the jack fruit horizontally first and then vertically so that you get small cubes. Cut off the thick skin so that no green part remains. Also discard the inside white part so that you have a thin layer above the fibers. Immediately transfer the jack fruit cubes in a large bowl of water. Clean properly.
Take a pressure cooker. Add all jack fruits into it. Add few pinches of salt and 1 to 1&1/2 cup water. Secure the lid of the cooker and wait till 1 whistle in medium flame. Turn the flame off. Let the pressure release by itself.
Transfer the semi-boiled jack fruit cubes in a paper towel wrapped plate so that no water remains.
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Raw Jack Fruit – 1/2 of a medium sized one, cut into small cubes
- Onion – 1 medium, cut into long thin slices
- Crushed ginger & garlic – 1 tablespoon
- Whole dry red chilli – 1
- Tomato – 1/2 of a large one, roughly chopped
- Yogurt – 4 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Roasted whole cumin and dry red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard oil – 4 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a wok. When the oil heats up, add onions. Keep stir frying until onions become golden brown.
- Add crushed ginger and garlic. Add a pinch of salt. Stir for a minute.
- Remove fried onion, ginger and garlic from oil into a small boil. Let it cool down. Transfer everything into a mixer grinder and prepare a smooth paste.
- In the same oil, add semi – boiled raw jack fruit cubes. Also add few pinches of salt. Stir for a minute.
- Add onion-ginger-garlic paste prepared in step 3. Mix with the jack fruit and stir for another minute.
- Add tomatoes next. Mix and stir. Keep stirring until the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- In the meantime, take yogurt in a small mixing bowl. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder into the yogurt. Stir and beat the yogurt well until no lumps are left.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the wok. Lower the flame to medium. Stir and mix well. Cover the wok with a lid and let the jack fruit cook.
- You can add warm water little by little only when needed. After adding water, gently stir and again cover with the lid.
- When the veggies are completely done, add roasted whole cumin and dry red chilli powder. Give it a stir.
- Check the gravy, it should be thick but not too dry. When the gravy reaches the desired consistency, turn the flame off.
- Give the dish some standing time.
Serve Raw Jack Fruit in thick yogurt gravy hot with plain rice / bread.