Hello everybody !! Hope you are having a great week !!
It is already super sunny and hot in Kolkata. It feels like summer will be scorching and burning hot this year 😦 That’s not a good news for spicy food lovers like me. But if you are like me,don’t worry! We will be incorporating some very healthy ingredients like yogurt which will help us stay healthy this summer and also enjoy our favorite dishes.
I have already shared with you a raw jack fruit recipe using yogurt gravy. But I thought I should also think about my fish lover friends 🙂 So this post is a similar recipe using my favorite everyday freshwater fish – Indian Carp (Katla) in a thick yogurt gravy. The preparation is not too spicy nor very plain, very easy and quick. You can easily enjoy it with plain rice for any hot summer lunch.
In case you do not find Indian Carp nearby, you can use any fish fillet of your choice like rohu, salmon etc.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Clean fish fillets well under running water. Place them in a paper towel wrapped plate. Once the fillets are dry, marinate them with few pinches of turmeric powder, few pinches of salt and few drops of mustard oil.
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Indian Carp (Katla) fish – 4 fillets / pieces
- Yogurt – 4 tablespoon
- Onion – 1 large, roughly chop and prepare a smooth paste using mixer grinder
- Garlic & Ginger – 3 cloves garlic & 2 inch ginger, prepare a smooth paste
- Tomato – 1 large, prepare a smooth paste
- Green chilli – 4, slitted into 1/2 lengthwise
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard oil – 6 to 8 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a deep bottom frying pan. When the oil heats up completely, add marinated fish fillets.
- Stir fry the fish fillets until both sides turn golden. Remove them from oil when done and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil, add onion paste. Lower the flame to medium. Keep stirring for a minute.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Keep stirring until the raw smell disappears from the gravy.
- Now add tomato paste. Mix and keep stirring for 2 more minutes.
- Add remaining turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder. Also add salt. Stir and mix until the spices start releasing oil.
- Now beat the yogurt well so that no lumps remain. Add the beaten yogurt into the pan. Mix well with the spices. Check the salt, add if required.
- Once the yogurt is mixed into the gravy, add the fish fillets. Also add 1 cup of warm water. Gently give it a stir and cover the pan with a lid. Let the fish cook.
- Flip sides in between so that both sides of the fillets get equally cooked. You can add little more warm water if required later.
- Once everything is done, add green chillies (keep some aside for garnishing).
- Check the gravy, it should not be runny, it must be thick and almost sticking to the fish fillets. In case the gravy is too runny, increase the flame & remove the lid. Let the water dry up.
- When the gravy reaches your desired consistency, turn the flame off. Garnish with remaining green chillies.
Serve Indian Carp in thick spicy yogurt gravy hot with plain rice.