Hello everybody !! We are celebrating Holi – the Festival of colors in India. Wish all of you a very Happy and fun filled Holi !!
This is a bonus chicken recipe specially for today’s festival. In case you will be having veg today, you can prepare it as a special weekend dish and enjoy with your friend & family as a post-Holi lunch.
Today’s recipe is a very popular chicken dish we often order in restaurants. As you all know I love a restaurant style lunch / dinner at home with my family on special occasions. If you are like me, definitely try this slightly different recipe with fresh fenugreek leaves and enjoy a cozy special meal at home. This chicken side dish goes perfectly with fried rice, pulao, nun or even plain rice / bread.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : Marination Time = at least 2 hours / overnight + Other ingredients = 10 minutes
Clean the chicken pieces. Soak water in a paper towel. Marinate chicken pieces with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, few pinches of salt and few drops of oil. Keep it overnight / at least 2 hours prior to cooking.
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
- Chicken – 500g, medium sized pieces with bone (you can use boneless chicken thighs if you prefer)
- Fresh Fenugreek leaves – 1 small bowl
- Yogurt – 4 tablespoon
- Tomato – 1, medium sized, roughly chopped
- Onion – 1 large, cut into thin long pieces
- Ginger – 2 inches, roughly chopped
- Garlic – 4 cloves, roughly chopped
- Green chilli – 4, roughly chopped
- Dry Bay Leaf – 1 or 2
- Whole spices – 2 green cardamom, 1 black cardamom, 2 small cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 4 black peppercorns, few mace strands
- Turmeric powder – 2 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 4 to 6 tablespoon (I used refined soybean oil)
- Salt – as per taste
- Heat up oil in a wok. When the oil heats up, add onions, ginger and garlic. Add a pinch of salt.
- Keep stir frying until the onions turn golden brown. Remove everything from oil in a small bowl and let them cool down.
- Once they are cool, transfer fried onion, ginger and garlic to a mixer grinder. Prepare a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Add 2 green cardamom, 1 black cardamom, 2 small cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 4 black peppercorns, few mace strands in a pestle and mortar. Prepare a Garam masala powder.
- Now in the remaining oil, add dry bay leaf. Add green chillies.
- Next add marinated chicken pieces one by one. Lower the flame to medium. Cover the wok with a lid and give the chicken pieces a stir occasionally.
- When the chicken pieces turn golden brown, add the onion mixture paste, fresh fenugreek leaves and tomatoes. Mix well. Cover the wok again and stir occasionally until the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- In a small mixing bowl, add remaining turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and freshly prepared garam masala powder. Beat the yogurt beat till no lumps remain. Add this yogurt mixture into the chicken gravy. Also add as much salt as required.
- Mix everything very well. Cover the wok again with the lid. Let the chicken cook in its own juice. Stir occasionally.
- You can add warm water gradually, only when the chicken starts sticking to the bottom of the pan. Wait until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Once everything is done, check the gravy. The gravy should be slightly thick but not completely sticking to the chicken. If it is too runny, increase the flame and let the water dry up until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Turn the flame off. Garnish with few fresh fenugreek leaves.
Serve Chicken with Fresh Fenugreek leaves hot with fried rice, veg biriyani, pulao, nun, kulcha or even plain rice / bread. This dish goes well with almost everything.
Note : If you want a more distinct flavor of fenugreek, you can add 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) when the chicken is almost done.