Hello everybody !! Hope all of you are having a great week. I was down with viral fever since Sunday. I feel better now and so we are back in track 🙂
This time of the year we get a vegetable which is almost considered to be the vegetarian’s meat 🙂 Not because it contains protein, but the preparation and taste of any dish we cook with this vegetable is similar to any mutton dish. So we Bengalis have given the Raw Jack fruit another name “Gach Patha” meaning the tree goat 😀 😀 , hilarious I know !!
I do not at all like the ripe version of Jack fruit because of the smell. But I absolutely love the raw vegetable. We have a variety of preparations with this, most of which are very similar to any mutton recipe as I already said. In today’s post, I will share with you a very simple everyday dish you can prepare with Raw Jack fruit and potatoes. It is one of my all time favorite curries to have with plain rice.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Grease your hands with oil before you start cutting the Raw Jack fruit. Take a broad sharp knife and cut the jack fruit vertically into 2 halves. Immediately place both halves under the running water of your basin.
Fill half of a large bowl with water. After both halves are comparatively clean, chop the entire jack fruit into small cubes and dip them immediately in the bowl of water. After sometime, take out the cubes and discard the water.
Refill half the bowl with fresh water. With a sharp knife, cut out the green skin from each cubes and discard the skin. Also remove the excess white portion on the inner side (opposite to the skin). There should be a very little white part remaining over the fibers. Dip all the cubes into the fresh water again for some time.
Once you are done with the above steps, take a pressure cooker. Take out all the jack fruit cubes from the bowl and add them into the cooker. Add 1 and 1/2 cup water and few pinches of salt into the cooker. Secure the lid and wait for 1 whistle in medium flame. Let the vapor release from the cooker completely. Now take out the slightly boiled jack fruits into a separate bowl / plate. Discard the water in the pressure cooker.
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Potato – 1 medium sized, cut into small cubes
- Raw Jack fruit – 1/2 of a medium sized, cut into small cubes (slightly bigger than the potato cubes)
- Onion – 1 medium sized, cut into long thin slices
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Tomato – 1 medium sized, roughly chopped
- Green chillies – 2, 1 roughly chopped for gravy and 1 slitted for garnishing
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Shahi garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Clarified butter (ghee) – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard Oil – 2 to 3 tablespoon
- Heat mustard oil in a wok. When the oil heats up,add potatoes. Also add a pinch of salt. Stir fry until the potatoes become golden on all sides. Take them out in a plat once done.
- Now add onions & green chilli. Stir fry the onions until they become translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Stir fry until the onions become golden brown.
- Add tomatoes. Add few more pinches of salt. Keep stir frying until the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Add potatoes and slightly boiled jack fruits. Also add spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix and stir.
- Check the salt. Add more if required. Keep stirring and mixing until the spices start releasing oil.
- Add 2 cups of warm water. Lower the flame to medium. Cover the wok with a lid and let the vegetables cook. You can add more warm water later if the gravy dries up before the veggies are boiled.
- When the vegetables are completely boiled, add shahi garam masala and clarified butter (ghee). Give it a stir.
- If the gravy is too runny, remove the lid. Increase the flame and let the water dry up until it reaches the desired consistency. The gravy should be neither too runny nor too thick.
- Once everything is done, turn the flame off. Garnish the dish with the remaining green chilli.
Serve Spicy Potato and Raw Jack Fruit curry hot with plain rice.