Hello everybody ! Hope you are having a good week so far.
‘Posto’ is the Bengali name for a poppy seed paste gravy. We use a variety of vegetables like potato, drumstick, ridge gourd, pointed gourd with poppy seed paste to prepare a super yummy ‘posto’. I have shared with you a fish recipe (Rohu Fish with poppy seed paste) using almost the same ingredients earlier, check that post if not already.
Usually in the cult favorite Bengali recipe, we use potato and/or ridge gourd. But today I will be sharing with you a yummy ‘Posto’ preparation using cauliflower. This is a very simple yet delicious non spicy recipe using minimum ingredients.
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
In a mixer grinder take 4 tablespoon poppy seed, 4 tablespoon water, 4 hot green chillies and 1 teaspoon salt. Prepare a smooth paste.
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Cauliflower – 1 medium sized, cut into small florets
- Poppy seed – 4 tablespoon, prepare a smooth paste
- Tomato – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Green chilli – 6, 4 roughly chopped for paste and 2 finely chopped for gravy
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard oil – 2 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a wok. When the oil heats up add a pinch of salt.
- Add cauliflower florets. Stir fry until the cauliflowers become golden on all sides.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Keep stirring until the tomatoes become soft.
- Lower the flame to medium. Add poppy seed paste prepared before. Mix well until the cauliflowers are coated with the paste.
- Now add 1 cup warm water. Give it a stir. Cover the wok with a lid.
- Let the cauliflowers cook in medium flame.
- You can add little more warm water later if the gravy dries up before the cauliflowers are cooked.
- When the veggies are boiled, add remaining 2 finely chopped green chillies.
- You can increase the flame and let the gravy dry up completely if you prefer a dry gravy, else you can let a little water remain if you want a soft thick gravy.
- Once everything is done, turn the flame off. Give the dish some standing time.
Serve Cauliflower & poppy seed paste (Kopi posto) with plain rice and white urad dal (Kolai er dal) for an authentic Bengali lunch.