Hello everybody !! Wish you a great week ahead.
Its Tuesday and so I will be sharing with you a veg recipe. Today’s recipe is a very nutritious potato curry with beetroot and green peas. It has a very interesting pinkish red color because of the beetroot. You can vary the amount of beetroot as per your preference.
Beets are high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, essential minerals like potassium and manganese and also contain the B vitamin folate which helps reduce the risk of birth defects.
This recipe is particularly good for kids or special occasion menu as it both looks & tastes so different yet delicious compared to other ordinary potato curries.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Potatoes – 8, cut into 1/2 horizontally
- Beetroot – 1 small, cut into thin long slices
- Tomato – 2 medium, roughly chopped
- Green peas – 1 cup
- Ginger paste – 1 tablespoon
- Green chillies – 4, finely chopped
- Fresh Coriander leaves – 1 teaspoon, finely chopped
- Mint Leaves – 1 teaspoon, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Roasted dry red chilli & cumin seeds powder – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – 4 to 6 tablespoon (I used refined vegetable oil)
- Heat oil in a wok. When the oil heats up add potatoes. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and few pinches of salt.
- Stir fry until the potatoes turn golden on all sides. Take them out once done and keep them aside.
- In the same oil, add green chillies and ginger paste. Stir for half a minute.
- Add tomatoes. Stir and mix until the tomatoes become soft.
- Add remaining turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Keep stirring until the spices start releasing oil.
- Now add fried potatoes, beetroot, green peas, salt and sugar. Keep stirring until the veggies get mixed with the spices well.
- Add 2 cups of warm water. Lower the flame to medium. Cover the wok with a lid and let the veggies cook. You can add more warm water later if needed.
- The gravy should be thick but not sticking to the veggies. So when the veggies are completely done check the gravy. If it is too runny, remove the lid and increase the flame. Let the water dry up until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Add coriander leaves, mint leaves and roasted dry red chilli & cumin seeds powder. Give it a stir and turn the flame off.
- Let the dish have some standing time. Garnish with coriander / mint leaves.
Note : If you are in a hurry, after step 6, you can add 2 to 3 cups of warm water. Transfer everything from the wok into a pressure cooker. Secure the lid and wait for 2 whistles in medium flame. Turn the flame off and let the vapor release on its own. Go for step 9 and 10 after this.
Serve Potato curry with beetroot & green peas hot with any rice / bread preparation of your choice.