Hello everybody !! Hope you are having a great week.
Today is Wednesday, so I will be sharing with you a non veg recipe as promised. This preparation is a very easy sea food you can quickly prepare at home, but it adds a restaurant vibe to your menu 😀
I first tried this dish at a restaurant in Pune and loved it. It was my first restaurant visit with my own money, few days after I received my very first salary. So that adds a special touch to this recipe for me. I absolutely love Pomfret, one of my top favorite sea fish. The easiest and yummiest preparation you can make with this fish is this stir fried marinated pomfret called Pomfret Tawa Fry. The dish is called so since it is cooked in a Tawa or a flat frying pan. The preparation tastes similar to Grilled Pomfret.
You can enjoy this dish as a snack by itself with salad & any chutney of your choice. You can also serve it as a starter.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Clean the Pomfret fish well under running water. Now place them in a paper towel wrapped plate. This is to make sure the fish becomes dry.
Now take a sharp knife, hold the knife in a slanted position and cut through till you reach the bone. Make 2 to 3 incisions like this on both side of each fish. (I have also removed the fish head).
Next remove the paper towel. Add few pinches of salt, juice of 1/2 a small lemon (1 tablespoon), 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder. Marinate both the fish with the spices well on both sides. Gently push the spices inside the incisions also. Keep it for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Pomfret fish – 2, whole, medium sized
- Hung curd – 2 tablespoon
- Garlic Paste – take 6 to 8 garlic cloves and prepare a smooth paste
- Lemon – 1, small, extract the juice from 1/2 the lemon (1 tablespoon) and slice the remaining 1/2 in rings for garnishing
- Salt – as per taste
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Chaat Masala – 1/2 teaspoon (You can use a mixture of black pepper powder & dry mango powder if you do not have Chaat Masala)
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1/2 teaspoon (only for garnishing)
- Oil – 3 to 4 tablespoon (I used refined soyabean oil)
You can use melted butter if you prefer to fry the fish instead of oil.
Marinate the Fish :
- Take a small mixing bowl. Add hung curd, garlic paste, remaining red chilli powder, garam masala powder and chaat masala. Add few drops of oil. Mix everything well.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the marinated pomfrets. Coat each fish on both sides well.
- Cover the plate and keep the marinated pomfret for 30 minutes.
Fry the Marinated Fish :
- Now take a flat frying pan (Tawa). Heat oil / melted butter. When the oil heats up, add the marinated fish one at a time.
- Shallow fry the fishes turning sides so that all sides are cooked evenly. (Do not over fry the fish, it may get charred and turn black easily)
- Once done, place the fried fish in a serving plate. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and lemon slices on top.
Serve Pomfret Tawa Fry hot as a snack with a chutney of your choice. You can also serve this dish as a starter.