Hello everybody !! Its Fri-yay 😀 Wish you a great weekend ahead.
Today’s recipe is a rice meal you can prepare for a wholesome lunch this weekend. You may serve it with any side of your choice (like I did with Cauliflower Manchurian, you can check the recipe in my previous post, if not already). It is a medium spicy rice preparation with our favorite sea food – Prawns 🙂 I have used tiger prawns, you can use any variety of shrimps / prawns available.
You may add more vegetables like carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, etc of your choice in this preparation, if you prefer.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
De-vein the prawns and clean them well under running water. Also remove the tail and head part. Keep the clean prawns over a tissue paper wrapped plate to soak up excess water.
Next take a bowl. Add prawns, pinch of salt, pinch red chilli powder and 1 teaspoon soya sauce. Marinate the prawns for 5 to 10 minutes.
In another bowl soak basmati rice in water until you are preparing other ingredients.
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
- Basmati rice – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Prawns – 10 to 15 (I used tiger prawns)
- Onion – 1 medium sized, finely chopped
- Garlic and Ginger – 6 garlic cloves, 2 inch ginger, finely chopped
- Capsicum / Green Bell Pepper – 1 small, cut into small pieces
- Spring Onions – 6, chopped into long slices, 1 tablespoon finely chopped (for garnishing)
- Mint Leaves – 1 tablespoon, finely chopped (You can also use coriander leaves)
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Black pepper powder – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
- Soy Sauce – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Refined oil – 4 to 6 tablespoon
- Melted Butter – 2 tablespoon
- Take a deep bottom pot / saucepan. Fill it with 4 cups of water. Now add the pre-soaked basmati rice. Turn on the flame. Let the rice boil until it is 3/4th done.
- Once the rice is 3/4th done, drain all the water out. Fluff up the rice by shaking the container or giving the rice a stir with a fork. Keep it aside until the prawn and veggies are getting cooked.
- While your rice is boiling, take a deep bottom frying pan. Add oil and let it heat up.
- Add marinated prawns. Stir fry both sides until the prawns turn pinkish golden in color. Take them out in a plate once done.
- In the same oil add chopped onions. Stir fry them until they become translucent.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic and capsicum. Add a pinch of salt. Keep stirring until the onions become golden brown.
- Add long spring onion slices and fried prawns. Add red chilli powder, black pepper powder and sugar. Mix and stir until the veggies and prawns are completely done.
- By this time, your rice will be ready (you have completed step 2). Add rice into the pan. Also add melted butter. Mix everything with a light hand. Check salt, add only if required.
- Lower the flame to minimum. Sprinkle mint leaves over the rice (keep some for garnishing). Cover the pan with a lid and let the rice cook with the prawns and veggies until completely done. You can give it a stir in between so that rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the rice is completely done, turn the flame off. Give the dish some standing time. Garnish with remaining mint leaves / coriander leaves.
Serve Prawn Rice hot as a wholesome meal alone / with any side dish of your choice.