Hello everybody !
I have posted a medium spicy catfish preparation in the previous post with vegetables. Check that out if not already.
As I mentioned in the last post here is another recipe of Freshwater Catfish (Tangra mach) for you. This one is my mom’s special preparation which I absolutely love. Write in the comment section if you enjoy this recipe, I will pass on the message to mom 🙂
This dish is for spice lovers like us. The black pepper powder is the hero ingredient. Since the gravy is quite thick and sticks on to the fish, you can have it as a side dish with rice / roti whichever you prefer.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
If possible take black peppercorns and make a freshly crushed black pepper powder. You can use 1 and 1/2 tablespoon in this recipe and store the rest.
Marinate the fishes with few pinches of turmeric powder and salt. Heat 4 tablespoon oil in a frying pan and fry the fishes until both sides turn golden brown. Once done take them out in a paper towel wrapped plate.
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Freshwater Catfish (Tangra Mach) – 2
- Onion – 1, medium sized, finely chopped
- Ginger – 2 inch, crushed
- Garlic – 4 cloves, crushed
- Tomato – 1, medium sized, finely chopped
- Green chillies – 2, slitted (only for garnishing)
- Black Pepper powder – 1 and 1/2 tablespoon (It will be better if you freshly crush black peppercorns into powder)
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard oil – 6 to 8 tablespoon
- You can use the same frying pan you used to fry the fishes. Add remaining oil and let it heat up.
- Add onions. Stir fry until they become translucent.
- Now add crushed ginger and garlic. Stir fry until the onions turn golden brown.
- Next add tomatoes. Mix and stir. Add salt. Stir until the tomatoes become soft.
- Add remaining turmeric powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix well.
- When the spices start releasing oil, add 1 cup of warm water. Give it a stir.
- Place the fishes into the gravy. The fishes should be completely immersed in the gravy. You may little more warm water if needed. Cover the pan with a lid. Lower the flame to medium. Let it cook for some time.
- Turn the sides of the fish in between so that both sides gets cooked well. When the fish is almost done but not completely, add black pepper powder. Gently mix.
- When everything is done, remove the lid. Check if the gravy is still runny or not. If yes, increase the flame and dry the gravy so that it becomes thick and sticks to the fish.
- Turn the flame off. Give the dish some standing time. Garnish with slitted green chillies.
Serve Spicy Freshwater Catfish (Tangra Mach) with black pepper powder hot with rice / roti. I prefer to have it as a side dish with plain rice.