Hello everybody !! Wish you great weekend ahead !
We bought some freshwater catfish (Tangra Mach) in market this week. The size was really good, plus they were filled with eggs and alive. I am going to share with you 2 of my favorite recipes using these fishes.
This recipe is a medium spicy curry of freshwater catfish with vegetables. A very simple yet delicious dish you can enjoy with plain rice.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Make a slit in the belly of each fish. Remove the gills from head and unwanted parts from the belly. Be extra careful if the fish have eggs like mine. Clean the fish well under running water.
Marinate the fishes with few pinch of turmeric powder and salt.
Heat 4 tablespoon mustard oil in a frying pan and fry the fishes until they turn golden on both sides. When done, take them out in a paper towel wrapped dish.
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Freshwater Catfish (Tangra Mach) – 2
- Potato – 2 medium sized, cut each potato into 6 long slices vertically
- Eggplant – 1, cut the eggplant into 1/2 horizontally first, then cut each half into 6 pieces vertically
- Sun dried Dumplings (Bori) – 8
- Tomato – 1, medium, roughly chopped
- Fresh coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Green Chillies – 4, 2 chopped and 2 slitted
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard Oil – 6 to 8 tablespoon
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok. Add sun dried dumplings (bori). Stir fry them until they turn golden brown. Take out and keep them aside.
- Now add the remaining oil and let it heat up. Add potatoes. Also add few pinches of salt and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- When the potatoes turn golden, add the eggplants. Again add few pinches of salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Stir fry for a minute.
- Next add tomatoes. Mix well. Add remaining turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Stir and mix everything well.
- When the spices start releasing oil, add 2 cups of warm water. Turn the flame to medium. Cover the wok with a lid. Let the vegetables boil.
- When the vegetables are half done, make space in the middle of the wok and place the fishes into the gravy. Also add the fried sun fried dumplings (bori) and chopped green chillies. The fish should be immersed in the gravy. Add more warm water if needed. Also check the salt. Add if needed. Cover with the lid again.
- If the vegetables are almost done, add coriander leaves. Keep the wok covered in medium flame until the vegetables are completely done. The gravy should neither be too runny nor too thick.
- Turn the flame off when everything is done. Give the dish some standing time. Garnish with slitted green chillies on top.
Serve Freshwater Catfish (Tangra Mach) with vegetables hot with plain rice.