Hello everybody !! Hope you are enjoying the winter special vegetable recipes.
Today’s recipe can be a complete meal in itself or you can have it as a side dish with bread, rice, fried rice anything of your choice.
If you do not know already, lentils are a rich source of numerous essential nutrients including folate, thiamin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, phosphorus, iron, and zinc. Lentils have the second-highest ratio of protein per calorie of any legume, after soybeans. The vegetables add more health benefits to the dish.
I have used winter special vegetables like cauliflower, carrot, beans, green peas etc. You can add any other veggie of your choice.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Golden yellow lentils (Sona Moog Dal) – 6 tablespoons
- Potato – 1 , medium sized, cut into 4 pieces vertically
- Cauliflower – 4 medium sized florets
- Green Peas – 2 tablespoon
- Carrot – 1/2, cut into thin long slices
- Beans – 4, cut into medium sized pieces (cut each beans into 3 to 4 pieces)
- Tomato – 1 small, roughly chopped
- Coriander Leaves – 1 tablespoon
- Green Chilli – 4, each cut into 1/2 vertically
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Mustard Oil – 4 tablespoon
- Five spices (Panch Phoron) – 1/3 teaspoon (fenugreek seed, nigella seed, cumin seed, black mustard seed and fennel seed in equal parts)
- Clarified Butter (desi ghee) – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- You can use 1/2 teaspoon sugar if you prefer (I have skipped)
- Take a deep bottom frying pan / skillet. Make sure it is absolutely dry.
- Turn the flame on. Add golden yellow lentils (sona moog dal) in the skillet. Stir fry until they start turning golden brown.
- Immediately remove them from heat and keep them in a separate bowl.
- Now in the same skillet heat oil.
- When the oil heats up, add potatoes. Add a pinch of salt. Stir fry until potatoes turn golden on all sides. Remove from pan once done and keep in a bowl.
- In the same oil, now add cauliflowers. Again add a pinch of salt. Sir fry until the florets turn golden. Remove from pan and keep them with the potatoes.
- Now add tomatoes. Stir the tomatoes until they become soft.
- Add all the vegetables – fried potatoes, fried cauliflowers, carrots, beans and green peas. Also add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix everything well for a minute.
- Take a pressure cooker and transfer everything into the cooker. Add the golden yellow lentils (sona moog dal) and green chillies (keep 2 chillies aside for garnishing). Add 2 to 3 cups of warm water. (Add sugar now if you want). The gravy should have a (soup like) runny consistency. Stir once.
- Cover the lid of the cooker and wait for 2 whistles in medium flame. (Number of whistles will depend on what quality of lentil you are using, mine gets done in 2)
- Turn the flame off. Give the dish some standing time, do not open the lid immediately.
- When everything is done, take out everything in a deep bottom serving bowl.
- Add clarified butter (desi ghee). Mix gently.
- Take a ladle spoon (non stick / metal). Add few drops of oil / melted ghee. When it heats up, add five spices (panch phoron).
- When the spices starts to crackle, turn the flame off. Add everything from the ladle into the bowl. Immediately cover the bowl with the lid. Wait for a minute.
- Gently mix everything once and garnish with green chillies.
Serve Golden yellow lentil with vegetables hot in a soup bowl as a complete meal / as a side dish with rice/ bread / fried rice.