Hello everyone !! Hope you are having a great week.
Winter is here and I will be sharing with some recipes using winter special veggies. One of them I already posted yesterday – Shredded cabbage with green peas. Check out the recipe if not already.
Today’s recipe is about a winter special leafy super nutritious veggie – Spinach. There are huge variety of recipes possible with yummy multipurpose spinach. But this one is super easy, non spicy and needs minimum ingredients. It is important to use absolutely fresh spinach leaves which are comparatively smaller in size.
Since it has quite a runny gravy, enjoy this curry as a side dish with rice.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Whole spinach – around 30, choose comparatively smaller fresh leaves (only remove the roots)
- Potato – 1, medium, cut into small chunks
- Tomato – 1 small, roughly chopped
- Garlic – 4, cut into thin long julienne
- Dry red chilli – 2, whole
- Refined vegetable oil – 4 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Heat oil in a wok. When the oil heats up add dry red chilli. Wait for few seconds.
- Add potatoes. Add a pinch of salt. Stir until the potatoes turn golden.
- Now add the garlic and tomatoes. Mix and stir everything well.
- When the tomatoes become soft, add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Now add the spinach leaves. Mix gently with everything.
- After few seconds of adding the leaves you will see they start releasing water. Lower the flame to medium. Cover the wok with a lid.
- Let the veggies cook in their own juice.
- When vegetables are almost done, check if the gravy has a runny soup like consistency. If not you can add little warm water. Mix and again cover the lid.
- Once everything is done, turn the flame off. Give the dish some standing time.
Serve Potato with Spinach curry hot as a side dish with plain rice.
Note : If you are in a hurry, when the spinach leaves start releasing water (after step 5) you can transfer everything into a pressure cooker. Check if you have enough water in the gravy, else you can add 1 cup of warm water. (Remember spinach leaves will release water, so do not add too much). Wait for 2 whistles in medium flame. Give the dish some standing time before opening the lid of the cooker.