Hello everybody !! Today is Monday, wish you a great week ahead !
As you know bottle gourd is a very nutritious vegetable. To make it even better, here is a very popular Bengali recipe using bottle gourd and shrimps.
A very quick & easy, non spicy preparation you can prepare as a side dish with plain rice. You do not need to use onion garlic for this preparation, keep the gravy little runny.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Clean the shrimps well. De-vein them and remove the head and tail part. We will only use the shrimp bodies for this recipe.
Marinate the shrimps with a pinch of turmeric powder and salt.
Cooking Time : 15 to 20 minutes
- Bottle Gourd – 1/2, cut into long thin slices
- Shrimps – 12 to 15, marinated
- Ginger – 2 to 3 inch, crushed into a paste
- Tomato – 1 small, roughly chopped
- Green Chillies – 4 to 5, chopped into small pieces
- Whole cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry Bay Leaf – 1
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard oil – 4 to 6 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a wok. When the oil heats up add the marinated shrimps. Fry until both sides turn golden. (Do not over-fry them) When done, take them out in a bowl.
- In the same oil add whole cumin seeds and dry bay leaf.
- When the cumin starts to splutter, add crushed ginger paste and tomato.
- When the tomatoes become soft, add bottle gourd slices. Mix everything well.
- Once the bottle gourd starts releasing water, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix everything well.
- Lower the flame to medium. Cover wok with a lid. Let the vegetables cook in their own juice.
- When the bottle gourd is half boiled, add the fried shrimps. Mix everything and cover with the lid again. You can add warm water if the gravy tends to become dry.
- Add green chillies and sugar when the vegetables are almost boiled. Mix well.
- When the vegetables and shrimps are completely done, turn the flame off. The gravy should have a little runny consistency.
- Garnish with slitted green chillies. Give the dish some standing time.
Serve Bottle gourd with Shrimps curry hot with plain rice.