Hello everybody !!
This is a traditional Bengali fish recipe – one of the most famous recipes associated with Bengali cuisine. Poppy seed paste (posto) is one of the most loved ingredient in Bengali preparations. Along with rohu this recipe goes to another level for any fish lover.
You can easily try this simple non spicy quick but super yummy recipe at home. Let me know in the comment section if you like it. It goes best with plain steamed rice.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Take 4 to 6 tablespoons of poppy seed in a mixer grinder. Add 2 to 3 tablespoon water, a pinch of salt and 4 green chillies.
Prepare a smooth poppy seed paste like below.
Next marinate rohu fish pieces with turmeric powder and salt (I used 2 pieces). Heat 4 to 6 tablespoon mustard oil in a wok. Fry the marinated fish pieces until they turn golden on both sides. Take them out in a paper towel wrapped plate to remove excess oil.
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Rohu Fish pieces – 2
- Poppy seed – 4 to 6 tablespoon
- Green Chilli – 6 (4 for poppy seed paste and 2 for garnishing)
- Tomato – 1 small, roughly chopped
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard oil – 8 tablespoon
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a wok. When the oil heats up, lower the flame to medium.
- Add tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Stir well until the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Next add the poppy seed paste. Mix everything. Add required amount of salt. Mix again.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup warm water. Give it a stir. Place the fish pieces into the gravy.
- Keep the flame in medium. Cover the wok with a lid and let it cook.
- When the gravy thickens up, remove the lid and carefully stir a bit so that almost no water is left in the gravy.
- Once everything is done, turn the flame off.
- Garnish with slitted green chillies on top.
Serve Rohu fish with Poppy seed paste hot with plain steamed rice.