Hello everybody !!
Many of you loved the Fried Banana Flower Dumpling preparation. So I thought of sharing with you a similar recipe using green banana. If you have not seen the banana flower recipe please go ahead and check it out, I had done a small recipe series with it last month.
As you know fried dumplings preparation is a little time consuming, but they are delicious. They are perfect when you have party / festival / any guests coming. The dish both looks and tastes equally perfect for your special lunch.
You can even serve the fried dumplings with any sauce of your choice as a snack. The gravy converts it into a side dish for rice / bread.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
For the dumplings :
Take a big bowl. Fill ½ the bowl with water and few pinches of salt. Peel the green bananas, cut each of them into 3 pieces and immediately put them into the bowl. Next take a pressure cooker. Add the bananas. Add few more pinches of salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Also add 2 to 3 cups of water. Close the cooker with the lid and wait till 4 whistles in medium flame. Once the bananas are boiled, take them out in a paper towel wrapped plate. Try to blot out as much water as possible.
Peel and cut a medium potato into 4 pieces. Add the potato and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker. Close the lid and wait until 2 whistles in medium flame. Take them out in the same bowl with the boiled bananas.
For the gravy :
In a mixer grinder, prepare smooth paste separately for onions, ginger-garlic and tomatoes and keep them in respective bowls.
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Green Banana – 4, peel & cut each into 3 pieces and boil
- Potato – 1 medium, peel & cut into 4 pieces and boil
- Onion – 1 large, prepare a smooth paste
- Ginger & Garlic – crush 6 garlic cloves and 4 inch ginger together (You can also use 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste)
- Tomato – 1 large, prepare a smooth paste
- Green Chillies – 2 , slitted (only garnishing)
- Fresh Coriander leaves – 2 tablespoon, finely chopped
- Raisins – 6 (only garnishing)
- Dry Mango powder – 1 tablespoon (If you do not have dry mango powder, you can use 1 teaspoon lemon juice)
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Shahi Garam Masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Clarified butter (Ghee) – 1 tablespoon,melted
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Refined oil – 6 to 8 tablespoon
- Take a deep bottom frying pan. Add oil and let it heat up.
- In a large mixing bowl, add boiled bananas, boiled potatoes, salt, dry mango powder, black pepper powder and salt. Mash everything and mix well till you get a smooth mixture.
- Check if the oil is completely heated up. If so, then form small round balls with the mixture and place them one by one into the oil.
- Deep fry the dumplings in medium flame until they become golden brown on all sides.
- Once the dumplings are done, take them out in a plate.
- Now you can take a wok, or use the same deep bottom frying pan for the gravy. Keep about 2 to 3 tablespoon oil in the wok / pan and keep rest of the oil aside.
- Since the oil is already hot, add sugar. After few seconds add onion paste. Stir for a minute.
- Add crushed ginger garlic paste. Mix and stir everything until the paste starts changing color (It will become slightly brownish).
- Next add tomato puree. Mix everything and stir for a minute.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix everything and keep stirring until the spices start releasing oil.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cup warm water. Mix well. Place the dumplings into the gravy. Add fresh coriander leaves.
- Cover the wok / pan with a lid and let the dumplings cook.
- Wait until the gravy becomes thick and sticks to the dumplings. Do not make it too runny or too dry.
- Once everything is done, turn the flame off. Add shahi garam masala powder, green chillies and melted clarified butter. Mix carefully. Garnish with raisins on top of the dumplings.
- Cover the lid again and give the dish some standing time.
Serve Fried Green Banana Dumplings in spicy gravy hot with rice / bread.