Hello everybody !!
Here is a second recipe and my favorite one from the festive veg platter. You know by now that me and husband share a common love for cauliflower.
Today’s dish is perfect for any Indian festive meal. I have used no onions and garlic which makes it completely veg. I love it with Puris (deep fried Indian bread).
Lets get started !!
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Potato – 2 medium, cut each potato into 1/2 vertically and then cut each halves into 3 pieces so that you get 6 pieces for each potato
- Cauliflower – 1 whole, cut out medium sized florets (Remember cauliflower florets should be little bigger than the potato pieces)
- Ginger crushed / paste – 1 tablespoon
- Tomato – 1 medium, roughly chopped
- Green Chillies – 6, chop 4 into small pieces and keep 2 aside for garnishing
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – a pinch
- Roasted whole cumin and dry red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Refined Oil – 4 to 6 tablespoon, I used refined Soyabean oil
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Heat oil in a wok. When the oil heats up, add the potatoes.
- Add a pinch of turmeric and some salt. Stir and fry the potatoes till they turn golden on all sides. When done take them out in a paper towel wrapped bowl.
- In the same oil, add cauliflowers. Immediately add some more salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Lower the flame slightly and cover the wok with a lid.
- Stir occasionally and let the cauliflowers turn golden. Once done take them out and keep them with the potatoes.
- Now in the remaining oil, add pinch of sugar. This will add a red tinge to your dish.
- Almost immediately add ginger paste and tomatoes. Add a pinch of salt. Stir until the tomatoes become soft.
- Add the spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin and coriander powder.
- Mix and stir everything until the spices start releasing oil. Add the potatoes and cauliflower next. Do not add any water. Keep stirring until everything is mixed with the spices well.
- Now if you want to quicken the process, you can add everything in a pressure cooker, add 2 cups warm water, required amount of salt. Wait for 2 whistles in medium flame. Do not immediately open the cooker, give it some standing time.
- Else you can add 3 cups of warm water and required amount of salt in the wok, give it a stir and cover the wok with a lid. Keep the flame medium. Wait until everything is completely boiled. You may add slight more warm water if required later.
- When the veggies are completely boiled, take out the curry in a serving plate / bowl.
- Add melted clarified butter. Sprinkle roasted whole cumin and dry red chilli powder on top. Garnish with slitted green chillies.
Serve Potato and Cauliflower curry hot with puri / bread / rice.
This is the platter I served with this preparation. Please let me know in the comment section if you want detailed post for any other dish in this platter.