Hello everybody !!
I posted 3 festive complete veg platters in my Facebook & Twitter. I asked you on which recipes you want me to do detailed post. Some of you told me that all the platters look good. But I did not get any specific request.
If you do not follow me on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter please do, I will be very happy to stay in touch with you all. You will find all my account links in the right side of homepage.
I decided to share with you all my favorite recipes from the 3 platters 🙂 Lets start with a sweet dish to celebrate the festive mood.
Today’s dish is a vermicelli dessert using milk, grated coconut and cardamom powder. A very easy and quick dessert which all of you will love.
Lets get started !!
Cooking Time : 15 to 20 minutes
- Vermicelli – about 50g, choose a fine vermicelli
- Milk – 1/2 liter, use full fat milk like Amul Gold
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 2 tablespoon, melted
- Cardamom – 6, prepare a roughly crushed powder with the cardamom seeds
- Cashew Nuts – 2 teaspoon, you may use whole / broken
- Raisins (Kishmish) – 2 teaspoon
- Dry Bay Leaf – 1
- Grated coconut – 4 tablespoon
- Sugar – 4 to 6 tablespoon (you may alter the sugar amount depending on your taste)
You can use 2 to 4 tablespoon condensed milk in this recipe. This will add a flavor and make the milk thicker. But I somehow do not like the taste of condensed milk, so I skipped.
If you are not using full fat milk or you are in a hurry, then you can use milk powder to make the milk thicker. Stir very fast as soon as you add it to avoid lumps.
- Take a wok. Let it heat up. Add 1 tablespoon melted clarified butter (ghee).
- Add vermicelli. Keep stirring in medium flame until the vermicelli turns golden brown. (If you are using roasted vermicelli then you may skip these 2 steps)
- In the same wok add the cashew nuts. Stir and slightly roast them until they start turning golden.
- Now take a deep bottom saucepan. Pour the milk into the saucepan.
- Wait until the milk completely boil up once. Do not let it spill. Turn the flame low. Add sugar and dry bay leaf. (If you are using condensed milk/ milk powder you can add it now)
- Stir occasionally and let the milk become thick and creamy. This will take quite sometime, please be patient 😀
- When the milk has come to a thick consistency, add roasted vermicelli, cashew nuts, raisins and grated coconut. (Keep few cashew nuts, raisin and little grated coconut aside for garnishing)
- Stir and let the vermicelli boil.
- The milk should not be too thick, as it will become dry when you cool it. You should stop when you can just see the vermicelli floating in the top surface of milk. (In case you have accidentally made the milk too thick, you may add slight warm water)
- When everything is done, turn the flame off. Add roughly crushed cardamom powder and remaining ghee. Mix well.
- Pour the dessert in a serving bowl. Garnish with cashew nuts, raisin and grated coconut.
You can serve this dessert at room temperature also. But it is best if you let it chill for few hours / overnight.