Hello everybody !! Countdown begins for the biggest festival of Bengalis – Durga Puja. Also festive season is being celebrated all over India this month.
So wish everybody a very Happy Festive Month 🙂 Hope you have a wonderful time.
I will be sharing with you some simple easy veg dishes, which you can prepare during this festival. Spend less time in kitchen and save time for pandal hopping 😀
Today’s recipe is one of my favorite Ash Gourd preparation. It is very easy, non spicy dish, the hero ingredient being everybody’s favorite grated coconut 🙂
Ash gourd / Winter melon is a highly nutritive vegetable with vitamin B and C along with crucial minerals that the body needs like calcium, potassium, iron, phosphorous and fiber.
Cooking Time : 10 to 15 minutes
- Ash Gourd – 1/2, cut into long thin slices
- Grated coconut – 6 tablespoon
- Dry bay leaf – 1 or 2
- Whole Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry Red Chilli – 1
- Green Chilli – 2 to 4, slitted (for garnishing)
- Tomato – 1 small, roughly chopped
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard Oil – 2 to 3 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a wok. When the oil heats up, add whole cumin seeds, dry bay leaf and dry red chilli.
- When the cumin starts to crackle, add tomatoes and a pinch of salt. Stir until the tomatoes starts becoming soft.
- Add cumin and coriander powder. Mix well.
- When spices start releasing oil add ash gourd slices. Stir and mix everything.
- Lower the flame to medium and cover the wok with a lid. Add some more salt if required.
- The ash gourd will release water. Let the vegetables cook in their own water.
- When the ash gourd is almost boiled, add sugar and grated coconut. Mix everything well.
- Remove the lid and stir so that the water dries up. Keep the flame medium so that ash gourd completely boils by the time the gravy becomes dry.
- When everything is done, turn the flame off. Garnish with green chillies.
Serve Ash Gourd with grated coconut hot with rice.