Hello everybody !!
This is the final recipe of my Hilsa fish series. Let me know in the comment section which is your favorite one out of all the recipes I shared. Also let me know what recipes you want to see in future 🙂
This is the the simplest one out of all I think. But what makes this one super delicious is the fact that we have 3 ingredients which are best friends with Hilsa fish – mustard oil, green chillies and eggplant. Any Hilsa recipe has these 3, it has to be the best 🙂
A easy super quick recipe for you, a must try if you are a new cook / love less spicy yet full of flavor Hilsa dish.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Take a frying pan. Add 4 tablespoon mustard oil in a frying pan. When the oil heats up, fry the Hilsa fish pieces until they turn golden on both sides.
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Hilsa Fish – 2 piece, (I generally use the fish tail piece for this since I feel it adds more flavor, you can use any)
- Eggplant – 1 small, chopped into long thin slices
- Green Chillies – 4, slitted
- Tomato – 1 small or 1/2 a medium, roughly chopped
- Black cumin seeds (Kala Jeera) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard oil – 7 tablespoon (4 tablespoon to fry the fish pieces, 2 tablespoon for the preparation, 1 tablespoon during garnishing)
- Salt – as per taste
- Heat 2 tablespoon mustard oil in a wok / deep bottom frying pan.
- When the oil heats up, add black cumin seeds. Wait until they start to crackle.
- Add eggplants. Sprinkle some salt. Let them fry a little bit.
- When the eggplants start turning golden, add tomatoes. Add turmeric powder also.
- Mix everything and keep stirring until the tomatoes become soft.
- Add 2 cups of warm water. Mix well.
- Now place the fried fish pieces into the gravy. Add 2 green chillies. Cover the wok with a lid. Lower the flame to medium.
- Wait until the gravy thickens and everything is cooked. Gravy should be little runny not too thick. Turn sides of the fish pieces so that both sides get cooked.
- Once you are happy with the consistency of the gravy turn the flame off.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon mustard oil on top and garnish with remaining green chillies.
Serve Hilsa Fish in spicy mustard oil gravy hot with rice.