Hello everybody !!
Hilsa fish recipe series continues 🙂 So here is the next recipe for you.
This fish has such a brilliant flavor of its own, that you do not need much ingredients in any of the recipes. All are quite simple and easy, the fish itself does most of the job 🙂
In case you do not like spicy food, you can definitely try this one. This is a very wholesome menu with flavors of hilsa along with nutritious vegetables. I have used 2 most popular vegetables that goes best with Hilsa – eggplant and taro.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Marinate the Hilsa fish pieces with salt and pinch of turmeric powder. Fry both sides of each piece until they turn golden.
Take 1 tablespoon white mustard seed, 1/2 tablespoon poppy seed, a pinch of salt, 2 green chillies in a blender and prepare a smooth paste.
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Potato – 1 large, cut into 8 square pieces
- Taro – 6 to 8, each cut into 1/2
- Eggplant – 1/2, cut into big square pieces
- Hilsa Fish Fillets – 2, fried
- Tomato – 1 medium, roughly chopped
- Green Chilli – 5 to 6, slitted
- Mustard Paste – make a smooth paste with 1 tablespoon white mustard seed, 1/2 tablespoon poppy seed, 2 green chilli and pinch of salt in a blender
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard oil – 6 to 8 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – a pinch
- Heat oil in a wok. When the oil heats up, add potatoes. Stir fry them until they turn golden.
- Now add taro. Mix and stir with the potatoes for a minute.
- Add eggplant and tomatoes. Mix everything.
- Next add salt and spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder. Mix everything with the veggies.
- When the tomatoes turn soft and the spices start releasing oil, add 4 cups of warm water.
- Cover the wok in a lid. Lower the flame to medium and let the vegetables cook.
- When the vegetables are almost done, add hilsa fish fillets and green chillies (keep aside few for garnishing) Cover and let it cook. Change side of the fish pieces in between.
- When everything is completely done, lower the flame to minimum. Add mustard paste. Mix everything for a minute.
- Once mustard paste is mixed into the gravy, and the gravy becomes thick but slightly runny, turn the flame off.
- Garnish with green chillies on top and give the dish some standing time.
Serve Hilsa Fish curry with veggies hot with rice.