Hello everybody !!
We Bengalis love Hilsa (‘Ilish’ as we Bengalis call our most loved fish). This is a fish which bonds both sides of Bengal together 😀 Hilsa is mainly available during monsoon and winter. Ilish is a marine fish but it comes to the sweet water rivers during monsoon to breed. Apart from holding the title of the favorite fish of all Bengalis Ilish is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. We love this fish so much that we even arrange ‘Hilsa Festival’ (Ilish Parbon) at different places in Bengal to gorge on various delicacies of Ilish.
Since the fish market is flooding with Hilsa during this time of the year, I thought of sharing with you few of my all time favorite Ilish / Hilsa fish recipes this week. This is going to be a mini series. So follow our blog to stay updated !!
This recipe is a very simple and easy stir fry using Hilsa fish liver and eggs along with potato and eggplant. Hilsa liver and eggs are particularly famous for their distinct flavor and taste. But in case this fish is not available, you can use any fish liver / eggs you like for this recipe.
Lets get started !!
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Potato – 1 small, finely chopped into long thin slices
- Eggplant – 1/2, chopped into long thin slices ( keep the slices slightly thicker than potatoes)
- Hilsa (Ilish) fish liver and egg
- Green / Red Chillies – 2, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder – a pinch (optional)
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard Oil – 4 to 5 tablespoon
- Heat mustard oil in a frying pan. When oil heats up, lower the flame and add the fish liver and eggs.
- Sprinkle some salt. Stir fry the fish oil and egg until they are done. Remove them from oil and keep aside in a bowl.
- In the same oil, add potatoes. Increase the flame. Keep stirring until the potatoes turn golden.
- Now add eggplants. Mix and stir with the potatoes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and fried fish liver and eggs.
- Mix everything and stir fry until all the veggies are cooked.
- Lower the flame again. Wait until the veggies become slightly crispy. (Do not over fry them, they will become hard)
- Take them out in a serving plate and garnish with chopped green / red chillies.
Serve Potato and Eggplant stir fry with Hilsa Fish liver/egg hot with rice.