Hello everyone !!
As promised in the previous post here is the third and most favorite recipe in my Banana Flower series. This recipe takes more time and effort than the previous one, but the end result is a super delicious dish.
You can serve the deep fried banana flower dumplings as a snack. Also you can prepare a thick spicy gravy with the fried dumplings and enjoy as a side dish with rice / bread.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Clean the banana flowers, finely chop them and boil in a pressure cooker. Remove them from water and keep them in a bowl.
Take 1/2 of a coconut. Cut few slices of coconut and chop them into small pieces. Shred the rest of the coconut and put them in a bowl.
Cooking Time : 20 to 30 minutes
For Banana Flower Dumplings (Kofta) :
- Banana Flower – 1 bowl, finely chopped and boiled
- Shredded Coconut – 3 tablespoon
- Potato – 1 medium, boiled
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic – 2 cloves, finely chopped
- Ginger – 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped
- Lemon Juice – 2 teaspoon
- Green / Red Chilli – 2 to 3, finely chopped
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoon
- Gram Flour – 2 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard Oil – 6 to 8 tablespoon
For Gravy :
- Chopped Coconut – 1 to 2 tablespoon
- Shredded Coconut – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger Paste – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato – 1 big, finely chopped
- Green / Red Chilli – 1 to 2, roughly chopped
- Turmeric Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Shahi Garam Masala – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – as per taste
- Dry bay Leaf – 1
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 1 tablespoon
- Refined Oil – 8 to 10 tablespoon
Prepare Deep Fried Banana Flower Dumplings (Kofta) first :
- Take a big bowl. Squeeze out excess water from the boiled banana flowers. Put every ingredient mentioned for kofta into the bowl.
- Mash everything and mix well.
- In a deep bottom frying pan heat refined oil. When the oil heats up completely dip the banana flower dumplings one by one.
- Deep fry the dumplings until all sides turn reddish brown.
- Take them out in a plate. Blot excess oil with tissue paper.
Prepare Kofta Curry now :
- Take a wok. Heat mustard oil.
- When the oil heats up, add bay leaf. Then add the chopped coconut. Fry till the coconut pieces turn golden. Remove them and put aside.
- Now add shredded coconut. Stir until they turn golden.
- Next add ginger paste and chopped tomatoes. Mix well. Stir until the tomatoes become soft.
- Add turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well and keep stirring until the spices start releasing oil.
- Add 1 cup warm water. Mix well with the spices. Add the fried dumplings (kofta). Add sugar. Mix gently. Turn the flame to minimum. Cover the wok and let it cook for 2 minutes. Turn the dumplings to let the other side cook in between.
- Remove the cover and add shahi garam masala. Let the gravy thicken. Once everything is done turn the flame off.
- Add melted clarified butter (ghee) and red/green chillies on top. Give the dish some standing time.
- Garnish with fried chopped coconut on top.
Serve Fried Banana Dumpling in thick spicy gravy hot with rice or bread.