Hello everybody !! Hope you are having a lovely weekend.
Today’s recipe is a very popular Indian recipe. My North Indian friends will agree that almost everybody loves Rajma Chawal for their lunch. This is a very hassle free easy everyday dish but tastes great. You can enjoy spicy Red Kidney Beans with rice as well as bread (roti).
Kidney Beans is not only a very delicious food, but it also has huge nutritional benefits.
Kidney beans are an excellent source of molybdenum. They are a very good source of folate, dietary fiber and copper. Kidney beans are a good source of manganese, phosphorus, protein, vitamin B1, iron, potassium and magnesium.
Lets get started !!
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Red Kidney Beans (Rajma) – 1 bowl (approx 8 to 10 tablespoon), soak it in water overnight
- Onion – 1 big, chop 1/2 onion into long thin slices, make a paste of the other 1/2
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 4 tablespoon (You can make a paste with 1/2 onion, 6 garlic cloves and 4 to 5 inch ginger together)
- Tomato – 1 big, finely chopped
- Dry Bay Leaf – 1
- Dry Red Chilli – 2
- Shahi Garam Masala Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 2 to 3 tablespoon, melted
- Mustard Oil – 3 to 4 tablespoon
- In a pressure cooker add all the red kidney beans (soaked in water overnight), a pinch of salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Wait for 4 whistles in medium flame.
- When the kidney beans are boiled, separate them from water and keep aside in a bowl.
- Now take a wok. Heat mustard oil. When the oil heats up add 1 tablespoon melted clarified butter.
- Add bay leaves and dry red chillies. Wait for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions. Stir fry for about 2 to 3 minutes until onions turn golden.
- Now add the onion-ginger-garlic paste. Mix and keep stirring for 2 minutes.
- Next add tomatoes. Mix everything and keep stir frying until tomatoes become soft.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix everything well. Turn the flame to medium. Keep stirring and wait until the spices release oil.
- Now add the boiled red kidney beans. Mix everything and stir for a minute.
- Add 1 cup warm water. Mix everything with water well. Cover the wok and let it boil.
- Wait until the gravy becomes thick and everything is completely done. (Do not allow the gravy to become too dry since the kidney beans will further dry up the gravy to some extent with time. Also do not make it too runny, just enough so that the kidney beans on top are touching the gravy.)
- Turn the flame off. Sprinkle Shahi garam masala powder on top. Add remaining clarified butter (ghee). Cover and give the dish some standing time.
Serve Red Kidney Beans in thick spicy gravy hot with rice or roti.
Here is my version of the famous Rajma Chawal.