Hello everybody !! Hope you are having a good week.
Today’s recipe is a childhood favorite of mine. It has prawns, it has ridge gourd and it has potatoes… some of my top favorite food items 😀
This preparation is ideal for kids or if you like less spicy non veg food. Ridge Gourd adds high nutritional value. Prawns dominate the flavor of this dish.
Do not use dry red chilli / too much red chilli powder in this recipe. Use hot green chillies, they go very well with ridge gourd curry.
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
- Tiger Prawns – 8 to 10, remove the scales from the body keeping head and tail intact, take out thread from the back and wash well.
- Potatoes – 2 medium, cut into small square pieces
- Ridge Gourd – 4 to 6, cut into small semi circular pieces
- Tomato – 1, roughly chopped
- Green Chilli – 4 to 6, slitted vertically
- Turmeric powder – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil – 4 tablespoon
- Marinate prawns with small pinch of turmeric powder and salt few minutes before you start curry preparation.
- Heat mustard oil in a wok. When the oil heats up, add the marinated prawns. Lower the flame to medium. Stir fry until they start turning golden. Do not over fry them. Take them out in a plate wrapped with paper towel.
- Now in the same oil, add a pinch of sugar. After 2 to 3 seconds add potatoes. Increase the flame. Stir for a minute.
- Add tomatoes. Mix well. Stir for a minute.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix well. Keep stirring occasionally.
- When the tomatoes start becoming soft add ridge gourd. Mix well. Cover the wok with a lid. Lower the flame to medium again.
- Ridge Gourds will start releasing water. Let everything cook in their own juice. Stir occasionally.
- When vegetables are almost done, add sugar. Mix well. Also add the prawns. Lower the flame to minimum.
- You can add few drops of warm water if required. The gravy should be little runny.
- When everything is completely done, add green chillies. Turn the flame off. Cover the wok with a lid and give the dish some standing time.
Serve Prawn Curry with Ridge Gourd and potatoes hot. Enjoy with plain rice 🙂