Happy Father’s Day to all super-dads !! Every father is a superhero!!
My dad has crossed 60 years of his life already. Due to some health issues which are part of increasing age, use of much spices and oil in cooking are not good for him. So for Father’s Day here is a recipe all of you can prepare for your father which will be both tasty as well as healthy. Make your super-dad feel special 🙂
Cat Fish is a highly nutritious fish with lots of health benefits. Apart from their sweet, mild taste, it is a good source of nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Catfish is very good for kids since they contain very less bones and beneficial for their healthy growth.
This is a very simple non spicy preparation of Indian torrent catfish(Magur) which you can prepare with any of your preferred vegetables. Goodness of fish and vegetables in one wholesome dish 🙂 I have used potatoes, pointed gourd and ridge gourd because all these are good for health during summer. You can also use green banana, beans or any other vegetable you like.
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Indian Torrent Catfish (Magur Mach) – 1 whole, cut into 3 pieces
- Potatoes – 2 medium, each cut into 4 long pieces
- Pointed Gourd – 4, each cut into 2 vertical pieces
- Ridge Gourd – 2, each cut into 4 long pieces
- Tomato – 1, roughly chopped / made into paste
- Red / Green Chillies – 2 to 4, cut into small pieces
- Turmeric Powder – 1 and 1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander and Cumin Powder – 1/2 teaspoon each
- Mustard Oil – 1/2 cup
- Salt – as per taste
- Marinate the catfish pieces with 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder, few drops of oil and few pinches of salt.
- Take a deep bottom frying pan. Add 4 tablespoon mustard oil and let it heat up.
- Add cat fish pieces into the oil one by one. Fry both sides until they turn golden (Do not over fry the fish). Once done take them out in a plate and remove excess oil with tissue paper.
- Now take a wok. Add the remaining oil (approx 2 tablespoon) and let it heat up.
- Add potatoes and pointed gourd. Stir for few seconds. Then add few pinches of turmeric powder and salt. Continue to fry them until they start becoming golden.
- Next add the tomatoes / tomato paste. Mix well and stir until the raw smell of the tomato paste goes / tomatoes turn soft.
- Add the ridge gourds. Add remaining turmeric powder, cumin and coriander powder and few pinches of salt. Mix well.
- When everything is mixed well, add 1 to 2 cups of warm water. Mix everything well.
- Now take a pressure cooker and transfer everything from the wok to the pressure cooker. Place the fried fish pieces carefully over the veggies. Add half of the red / green chillies. (Keep half of the red / green chillies for garnishing). Cover the cooker with the lid. Wait for 2 whistles in medium flame.
- Turn the flame off and give the dish some standing time. Later garnish with the remaining red / green chillies.
Serve Indian Torrent Catfish with vegetables Curry (Magur Macher Jhol) hot with plain rice.