Hello Everybody!! Hope you had a lovely weekend.
I am going to share with you a very exciting news. My new blender-mixer-grinder from Wonderchef was delivered to me last week. Wonderchef has come out with a super cute and very easy to use blender-mixer-grinder in many different colors. I got my one in black from Amazon. I may be doing a review of it soon.
This is the most awaited kitchen appliance for me 😀 😀 I needed this one for such a long time and finally I have it. Yeaaaaa !!
Today I am going to share with you the first ever dish I prepared using my brand new blender-mixer-grinder 🙂 This recipe is an all time favorite fish curry of mine. So today’s post is special in many ways 😀
This recipe can be prepared with any fish of your choice like rohu. But I personally looooove Katla more than any other fish, specially if the total fish weighs around 1.5 to 2 kilos. Bigger a Katla better it tastes 😀 😛
Lets get started !!
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Indian Carp (Catla / Katla) – 4 pieces with bone
- Black Mustard Seeds – 2 tablespoons ( If you do not prefer a complete black mustard paste gravy, you can use combination of black mustard seed – 3/4th tablespoon, white mustard seed – 1 tablespoon, poppy seed – 1/2 tablespoon )
- Green Chillies – 6, 4 slitted vertically into 1/2(for garnishing) and 2 roughly chopped(for mustard paste)
- Black Cumin Seeds (Kala Jeera) – 1 teaspoon
- Tomato – 2 medium sized (You can roughly chop them or make a paste with them)
- Mustard Oil – 1 cup (using mustard oil is a must for this recipe)
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – 2 tablespoon
- Kashmiri Red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin and Coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon each (optional)
Marinate the Fish :
Clean the katla pieces well. Place them in a plate. Add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, few pinches of salt and 1 teaspoon mustard oil to the fish. Mix well to coat all the fish pieces uniformly. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Fry the Fish :
Heat 1/2 cup mustard oil in a deep bottom frying pan. When the oil heats up, add marinated fish pieces one by one into the oil. Fry in medium flame. When one side becomes golden, flip the fish pieces and let the other side turn golden. Once done, take them out in a plate and remove excess oil using a tissue paper.
- Make a smooth paste with mustard seeds, (poppy seeds if you are using), roughly chopped green chillies, salt and 2 tablespoon water.
- Add remaining mustard oil in a wok. Let the oil heat up.
- Now add black cumin seeds. Wait for few seconds.
- Next add tomatoes / tomato paste (I used tomato paste). Mix and keep stirring until the raw taste of tomato paste goes away.
- Add remaining turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander & cumin powder (optional) and salt. Mix well and keep stirring.
- When the spices start releasing oil, add 1 cup warm water. Mix the spices so that the gravy becomes a bit runny.
- Now place the fish pieces into the gravy so that all the pieces are uniformly immersed into the gravy.
- After a minute, add the mustard paste and keep the flame low. Mix the mustard paste with the fishes and gravy. Cover with a lid.
- After another minute, remove the lid and flip the fish pieces so that the other side gets cooked.
- When the gravy becomes thick, turn the flame off. (Do not boil the gravy after adding mustard paste for too long / in high flame)
- Add remaining green chillies on top. You can also drizzle few drops of mustard oil for added flavor.
Serve Katla Fish in spicy mustard paste gravy hot as a side dish with rice.