Hello dear ones !!
Hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend !!
Today’s recipe is a very simple veg dish which is prepared in almost every part of India. But there are various ways you can customize this recipe as per your own preference. In Bengal we call this dish “Doi Potol” 🙂 doi is yogurt and potol is pointed gourd. So you can understand by the name its : pointed gourd cooked in a spicy yogurt gravy. This is my version 😀 a bit different from the original recipe. Please try and let me know if you like it in the comment section.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Pointed Gourd ( Potol / Parwal ) – 8
- Yogurt – 8 tablespoons
- Tomato – 2, finely chopped
- Whole cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Whole dry red chilli – 4
- Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Shahi Garam Masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil – 4 to 6 tablespoons
- Scrape the outer skin of the pointed gourds. Then vertically slit each of them twice in opposite direction so that you see 4 slit marks, do this on both top and bottom part. Marinate the gourds with salt and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Take yogurt in a mixing bowl. Add remaining turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix everything well till you get a smooth paste. You can add few drops of water if the yogurt is too thick.
- Add mustard oil in a wok and let it heat up. When the oil heats up add marinated pointed gourds into the wok. Fry them until they start turning golden brown. Once done take them out in a plate.
- In the remaining oil add whole cumin seeds and dried red chilli. When they start to crackle add tomatoes. Add a pinch of salt. Keep stirring until the tomatoes become soft.
- When the tomatoes are almost done, add the yogurt paste. Mix everything well. Turn the oven flame to lowest mode. Add the fried pointed guards. Also add 1 cup warm water. Cover the wok with a lid and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Once the gravy thickens turn the flame off. Add shahi garam masala powder on top. Give the dish some standing time.
Serve Doi Potol / Dahi Parwal / Pointed Gourd in spicy yogurt gravy hot with rice / bread.