Wedding season is going on here in India … lots of marriage function, engagement, anniversary, birthday etc etc. On this celebration mood, try out today’s recipe for a special dinner with your friends and family. Cottage cheese is loved by almost everybody… be it vegetarian or non vegetarian.. which makes it an ideal recipe to impress your guests !!
The dish looks very similar to a restaurant one but totally home made and very easy 🙂 So indulge in a special dinner with yummy cottage cheese in red spicy gravy!!
Lets get started !!
Marination time for cottage cheese : 30 minutes
Ingredients preparation : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 15 minutes
- Cottage Cheese – 250g, cut into rectangular cubes
- Capsicum – 1 small, cut into thin long slices
- Onion – 1 medium, cut into very tiny pieces (You can grate the onion, or even use 4 tablespoons onion paste)
- Garlic and Ginger Paste – 2 tablespoons
- Tomato – 2 medium, cut into very tiny pieces then roughly crushed (You can use 6 to 8 tablespoons of tomato puree)
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – extract juice of 1/2 a lemon (approx 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- Green Chilli – 4, finely chopped
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 2 full tablespoons (You may use paprika also)
- Coriander and Cumin Powder – 1 tablespoon each
- Salt – as per taste
- Shahi Garam Masala Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Melted Butter – 4 tablespoons
- Refined vegetable oil – 4 to 6 tablespoons
- Chopped Coriander Leaves – 2 tablespoon (optional)
Take the cottage cheese (paneer) cubes in a plate. Add lemon juice, 1 tablespoon kashmiri red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste, 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder and coat the paneer cubes well. Marinate the paneer cubes for 30 minutes.
- First prepare the paneer tikka . For this : Take a frying pan and add 2 tablespoon melted butter.
- When the butter heats up, turn the flame to low.
- Now place the marinated cottage cheese cubes into the butter. Wait until one side turns slightly golden.
- Now carefully turn the cubes to let the other side cook. If needed you may drizzle few drops of refined oil.
- When both sides of the paneer cubes are done , turn the flame off and put them in a plate.
- Now prepare the spicy red gravy. For this : Take a wok. Add refined oil to it.
- When the oil heats up add cumin seeds. When the start to splutter, add the onions.
- Stir fry the onions until they turn golden.
- Next add giinger garlic paste. Mix and keep stir frying until the onions become soft.
- Now add tomatoes. Mix everything well. Stir until the tomatoes turn mushy and soft. If you are not using onion paste / tomato puree like me, then crush everything with the spatula to get a paste like consistency.
- Add turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix everything well.
- When the spices start releasing oil, add 1 cup of warm water to it. Let it cook for a minute.
- Now add capsicum slices and paneer tikkas. See that all the tikkas immerse into the gravy well. Add 1 more cup of warm water and close the wok with a lid. Let it cook in medium flame for around 2 minutes.
- When the capsicum are boiled, check if the gravy has thickened or not. If not wait until you get a thick red gravy.
- Turn the flame off once everything is done. Spread remaining butter on top. Sprinkle the shahi garam masala powder. Mix slightly.
- Garnish the dish with chopped green chillies / coriander leaves.
Serve delicious Paneer Tikka Masala as a side dish for fried rice / nun / kulcha / bread 🙂