A summer special again !! I love sponge gourd fry a lot. They are so easy to cook, soft and juicy and they taste amazing. Here is the simplest recipe possible for my favorite veggie with almost no spices. Super easy, quick, summer special and yummm !!
A quick note is I do not like my sponge gourd fry to be too dry, I keep it soft and green. But if you want you can stir more and make it drier.
Lets get started !!
- Sponge Gourd – 6, cut into small semi circular pieces
- Dry Red Chilli – 4
- Black cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – a pinch
- Mustard Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Heat mustard oil in a wok. When the oil heats up add dry red chillies and black cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start to splutter, add the sponge gourds.
- Keep stirring and mixing everything for a few minutes.
- When you see the gourd starts releasing water, add turmeric and salt. Mix well.
- Cover the wok with a lid and stir occasionally. Let the gourd boil in its own water.
- When the gourd is almost boiled, add sugar. Mix and cover the lid again.
- When the gourd is completely boiled, remove the lid and keep stirring until the water dries out.
- Turn the flame off and serve hot as a side dish with bread / rice.