Tilapia is a very popular fish for daily meals. It is specially popular because it has very less bones. There are loads of different ways to prepare this fish. But today I am going to share a very simple and easy summer special recipe using yogurt and tomatoes (very essential part of summer diet) and less spices.
Enjoy Tilapia fish curry as part of your lunch and let me know if you liked it in the comment section. 🙂
Lets get started !!
Cooking Time : 10-15 minutes
- Tilapia Fish – 4, cut into 2 pieces if bigger than your hand, keep it whole if it is smaller
- Tomatoes – 2, medium sized, roughly chopped
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1, medium, finely chopped
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tablespoons
- Green Chillies – 2 (cut into half vertically)
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Roasted cumin and dried red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil – 1/2 cup
- Marinate the tilapia pieces with turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, salt and few drops of mustard oil. Keep for an hour.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry both sides of the marinated tilapia pieces well in medium flame. When done put them in a separate dish.
- In a bowl take yogurt, kashmiri red chilli powder, pinch of turmeric powder. cumin powder and coriander powder. Stir and mix everything well.
- Now add mustard oil into the wok if needed. Let it heat up. Add onions into the oil. Stir for few minutes.
- When the onion turn translucent add ginger garlic paste. Mix well and stir fry until the onions tun golden.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Mix and keep stirring. Cover the wok with a lid. Cook until the tomatoes turn soft.
- Now add the yogurt mixture. Mix everything well. Cover the wok with a lid for a minute.
- When the gravy starts drying up, add 1 cup warm water into the gravy. Mix everything well. Place the tilapia pieces slowly in a way so that all the pieces immerse inside the gravy well. Add more warm water if needed. Cover the lid and let it cook in medium flame.
- When the fishes are done and the gravy thickens up, turn the flame off.
- Serve the tilapia dish in a serving plate. Sprinkle roasted cumin and dried red chilli powder on top and garnish with green chilli.
I have not used coriander leaves and garam masala powder to keep it really simple and less spicy. You may add if you prefer while garnishing.