Aloo Dum is a favorite food for many Indians. There are huge variety of this preparation. Each person can add their own special touch to this dish and thats what makes it so widely famous. Being a potato lover Aloo Dum is my all time favorite potato dish.
As we already have extremely hot weather now in Bengal, here is a simple easy aloo dum recipe which is comparatively less spicy and quick, ideal for summer months.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Mini Potatoes – 250g, boiled and peeled
- Green Peas – 1/2 cup (optional)
- Tomatoes – 2 medium sized, roughly chopped
- Onion – 1 medium , finely chopped
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tablespoons
- Green Chillies – 2 or 3 , slitted
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 4 tablespoon, roughly chopped, keep few leaves for garnishing
- Turmeric Powder – 2 tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Cumin and dried Red Chilli Powder – 1 and 1/2 tablespoon
- Mustard Oil – 4 tablespoon
- Prick the boiled and peeled mini potatoes with a fork.
- Heat mustard oil in a wok. When the oil heats up add the potatoes and few pinches of salt.
- Stir fry the potatoes until they turn golden. Take them out and keep in a separate bowl.
- Add onions and ginger garlic paste in the same wok. Stir for few minutes.
- When the onions turn translucent add the tomatoes and green peas. Keep stirring again for few minutes.
- Add turmeric paste, red chilli paste, cumin powder, coriander powder and few pinches of salt. Mix everything well and cover the wok with a lid.
- When the tomatoes turn soft and mushy, add the potatoes. Mix everything well and cover with a lid. Keep stirring occasionally.
- When the gravy starts releasing oil, add 1 cup of warm water into the gravy. Mix well and cover the lid.
- Turn the flame off when everything is boiled and done. Add coriander leaves. Also add cumin and dried red chilli powder. Mix well and cover the lid.
- Give the dish some standing time. Serve hot with puri.