This is a Bengali recipe for Indian Butter Fish (Pabda) using bori (sun dried dumpling) and shorsher tel(mustard oil). Once I tried a similar dish at Oh! Calcutta restaurant and loved it. So I decided to prepare this dish myself.
Butter Fish is a very tasty fish. We generally serve it to our guests in special occasions like weddings, birthdays or other celebrations. This fish is liked by kids also since it only has 1 spine bone, and most of it is boneless.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 – 15 minutes
- Pabda (Butter Fish) – 4 ( I used whole fishes, you may cut each into 2 pieces)
- Bori (Sun dried dumplings) – 8 to 10
- Green Chillies – 4, slitted
- Kala Jeera (Black Cumin Seeds) – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil – 1/2 cup
- Tomato – 2 medium sized, roughly chopped
- Ginger – 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
- Turmeric Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Marinate the butter fishes with 1 tablespoon turmeric powder, a pinch of red chilli powder, salt and few drops of mustard oil.
- Now add 8 to 10 tablespoon mustard oil into the wok. Let the oil heat up.
- When the oil is completely heated up, add the sun dried dumplings(bori) into the wok. Stir till they turn golden brown. Keep them aside in a plate.
- Now in the same wok, place the fishes one by one side by side.
- Let one side fry till it turns golden. Very carefully change side for all the fishes one by one. Let the other side also fry and turn golden.
- When both sides of the fishes are fried remove them from the wok and keep them in a plate.
- Now in the same wok drizzle some mustard oil if required. Let it heat up. Add the black cumin seeds.
- When the kala jeera starts to crackle, add tomatoes. Add some salt. Mix and keep stirring until the tomatoes turn soft.
- Now add remaining turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix and keep stirring. Add 1 teacup of warm water.
- When the gravy thickens up, place the fishes slowly into the wok one by one. Add the fried dumplings in the empty spaces between the fishes.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook for few minutes in low flame. (Very carefully change the side of the fishes after one side turns soft.)
- When the fishes turn soft and the gravy is completely done, turn the flame off.
- Garnish with slitted green chillies on top anddrizzle few drops of mustard oil.
- Serve the butter fishes hot with rice.