Today is International Women’s Day. So I decided to prepare a recipe dedicated to the most lovely and inspiring woman in my life – my mom. Mom loves egg, so here is a Egg biriyani recipe for all my egg loving readers.
Lets get started 🙂
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
- Basmati Rice – 1 and 1/2 teacup
- Full Boiled Eggs – 2
- Single Egg Omelette – 1, cut into small pieces (garnishing)
- Potatoes – 1 medium, cut into 2 pieces and semi-boiled (optional)
- Whole spices – 4 green cardamoms, 4 cloves, 4 small cinnamon sticks, 4 whole black pepper, few strands of mace
- Bay leaves – 1 or 2
- Onion – 1 large, cut into long thin slices
- Garlic and Ginger Paste – 2 tablespoons
- Tomato – 1 large, roughly chopped
- Green Capsicum – 1, cut into long thin slices
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 10 to 12
- Refined Oil – 6 to 8 tablespoons
- Clarified butter (ghee) – 4 tablespoons
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin Powder – a pinch
- Shahi Garam Masala Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Yoghurt – 1 teacup
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar – a pinch (optional)
- Prick the fully boiled eggs and semi boiled potatoes with a fork. Marinate them with a pinch of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, pinch of cumin powder and salt. Keep it aside.
- Next take a deep saucepan with a lid. Let it heat on the oven.
- Add 2 tablespoon ghee into the saucepan. Let it heat up.
- Add all the whole spices and bay leaves. Wait till they start to crackle.
- Now add the rice and keep stirring until everything gets mixed together.
- Add 4 cups of warm water, salt and sugar into the rice. Cover the lid and let it cook in medium flame until the rice becomes almost boiled.
- Take a wok. Add 1 teaspoon ghee and 2 tablespoons refined oil into the wok and let it heat up.
- Next add the onions. Stir fry them until they become brown and crispy. Remove the onions and keep it in a separate bowl.
- Now in the remaining oil in the wok fry the 2 marinated boiled eggs until they have a slight crispy skin. When done keep them in a bowl.
- Next fry the marinated boiled potatoes in the same oil until they become golden brown. When done keep them with the eggs.
- Now add more refined oil into the wok.Let it heat up.
- Add the ginger garlic paste. Stir for 1 minute.
- Next add the green capsicums. Mix and stir for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes. Mix well and cover the wok with a lid. Stir occasionally.
- When tomatoes become soft, add salt, red chilli powder and shahi garam masala powder. Mix well.
- Pour yoghurt after a minute. Mix well. Cover the lid again.
- When the gravy starts releasing oil, add the potatoes and eggs. Mix well.
- The rice should be almost boiled by now. Add everything from wok into the saucepan over the rice. Mix lightly and cover the lid.
- When the rice is completely done, turn off the flame. Add remaining fried onions, fresh coriander leaves and 1 tablespoon ghee. Mix everything lightly.
- Spread the omelette pieces on top and garnish with some coriander leaves.
Serve this tasty Egg Biriyani hot with raita and salad. I used cucumber raita and onion salad.