Today I am sharing a home made Chana (Chickpeas) Masala recipe. This is a very tasty, quick and easy to make recipe which you can prepare at home for lunch or dinner. This is a spicy dish which goes well with both rice and bread.
Lets get started !!
Preparation Time : 20-30 minutes
- Chana (Chickpeas) – a full medium sized bowl amount (approx 500 grams)
- Onions – 2 big finely chopped
- Garlic – 10, make a paste
- Ginger – equal amount of ginger paste as garlic
- Green chillies – 5 to 6, make long slits (garnishing)
- Coriander Leaves – 8 to 10 (garnishing)
- Tomatoes – 2 big finely chopped
- Whole garam masala
- Bay leaves – 2 to 3
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard oil – 8 to 10 tablespoons
- Turmeric Powder – 1 and 1/2 tablespoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin Powder and Coriander Powder – 2 tablespoons each
- Shahi Garam Masala Powder – a small pinch (garnishing)
- Desi Ghee – 2 tablespoon (garnishing)
- Soak the chana (chickpeas) overnight in water. Then boil it in pressure cooker till 7 to 8 whistles.
- Add 8 to 10 tablespoons of mustard oil in the wok. Let the oil heat up.
- Add bay leaves and whole garam masala into the oil. Wait until they splutter.
- Now add chopped onions. Stir fry them for 2 minutes.
- Now add the ginger – garlic paste and keep stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas (chana) in the wok. Keep mixing and stirring for 10 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Close the wok with a lid.
- Keep stirring everything after some interval till the tomatoes become soft and mix into the gravy.
- Now add the spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix everything well.
- Close the lid and keep stirring sometimes so that the gravy doesnt stick to the wok bottom.
- When the chana masala is completely done, turn the oven off. Sprinkle a pinch of shahi garam masala powder. Add 2 tablespoons of desi ghee. Mix well.
- Garnish with slitted green chillies and fresh coriander leaves.
Enjoy your tasty Chana Masala with rice / bread 😀
MuMi’s Tips and Tricks :
- Try to use homemade ghee for better flavor.
- Using shahi garam masala powder is optional if you are already using whole garam masala.